Accredited Public NonProfit
ASN/ADN BSN RN-to-BSN
- Location(s) Arizona
- Telephone 1-888-556-7334
- Request Information
In January 1972, Pima Medical Institute was founded. It is a private, for-profit institution for medical career education in Tucson, Arizona. Pima is one of the largest independently owned allied health schools in the United States today, spreading across the US on 16 different campuses.
The programs at Pima Medical Institute include the Associate Degree in Nursing program at its Mesa and Tucson, Arizona campuses. It's Albuquerque, New Mexico campus offers an online Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) program.
Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN)
This 80 week Associate Degree in Nursing program can be completed in 20 months and is located on the Mesa and Tucson campuses. The ADN program has no wait list, unlike many other ADN nursing programs.
Students who enter the Associate Degree nursing program at Pima Institute learn the skills to become an entry-level Registered Nurse (RN). Students develop advanced skills through courses including anatomy and physiology, growth and development, pharmacology, nutrition, nursing theory; applying these skills to provide safe and professional patient care across the human life span.
Upon successful completion of the nursing courses, graduates become eligible to sit for the National Council Licensing Examination for Registered Nurses (RN-NCLEX). After successfully passing the NCLEX, he or she will then be eligible for state licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN).
There is a unique opportunity for students at the Pima Medical Institute called the clinical externship. This externship places him or her in a hospital, physician's office, community clinic, or other healthcare location, under the direction of other medical professionals to provide hands on care for patients.
Requirements (not all-inclusive)
- High school diploma or recognized GED equivalent
- High school transcript or evidence of satisfactory completion of GED testing will be requested prior to starting class
- Written approval of a parent or legal guardian if under legal age
- Compulsory school age applicants may not enroll unless they have a high school diploma
- Entrance exam and successfully pass with a minimum acceptable score; exam may be waived for applicants with official academic transcripts or certificate showing proof of completion of an associate degree or higher
- All applicants must be interviewed prior to acceptance
- Students may request ACT score sent to Pima Medical Institute (not required for admission)
- Late enrollments accepted only upon approval of the campus director
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) - Online
Pima Medical Institute's Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree (RN to BSN) is offered 100% online. This program is for the licensed practicing Registered Nurse (RN) who would like to increase his or her clinical responsibilities and expand leadership roles with a BSN degree. The program is approximately 19 months in length.
RN to BSN Prerequisites (not all-inclusive)
- State licensed and practicing as a Registered Nurse (RN)
- High school diploma or recognized equivalency
- Completed total 60-semester credits of specific coursework at the postsecondary level; transfer credits equal 45 nursing credits and 15 general education credits
NCLEX Pass Rates
- ADN - Mesa - 81.40% (2020)
- ADN - Tucson - 95.65% (2020)
- ADN - New Mexico - 75.61% (2017)
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) program at Pima Medical Institute (PMI).
The Associate Degree Nursing programs at Pima Medical Institute's Mesa and Tucson campuses have been granted full approval for a Nursing program by the Arizona Board of Nursing.
The Associate Degree Nursing Program does not currently have programmatic accreditation. The Pima Medical Institute Associate Degree Nursing program (system) holds pre-accreditation status from the National League for Nursing (NLN) Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (CNEA).
- Safest College Campuses in America #39 of 1,379
- Best College Locations in America #170 of 1,607
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #699 of 1,692
- Best College Locations in Arizona #1 of 12
- Safest College Campuses in Arizona #1 of 8
- Most Conservative Colleges in Arizona #4 of 16
- Most Diverse Colleges in Arizona #11 of 13
The Arizona Board of Nursing ranked Pima Medical Institute's Mesa campus Associate Degree nursing program as number one in the state in its 2015 nursing school rankings.