- Location Natchitoches, Louisiana
- Programs ASN/ADN, BSN, DNP, MSN, RN-to-MSN, RN-to-BSN, LPN-to-BSN, Entry-Level BSN, MSN-to-DNP, NP, Other
- Website URL Visit Website
Northwestern State University (NSU) of Louisiana is a public institution that was founded in 1884. The NSU College of Nursing and School of Allied Health offers several undergraduate and graduate nursing programs that assist the student in realizing their goals of a career in nursing.
Campus Locations include: Natchitoches, Shreveport, Alexandria, Leesville/Fort Polk
Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse (LPN/LVN) to Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN)
The Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse who would like to advance his or her nursing education can do so with the LPN to ASN degree program through Northwestern State University.
To be eligible to apply, the applicant must submit the following materials (not all inclusive):
- Application to apply for Nursing 1060
- Verification of current, unencumbered licensure as an LPN/LVN
- Verification of IV therapy content in LPN/LVN program or IV therapy certification
Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse (LPN/LVN) to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
This program is for the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) who wishes to advance his or her degree to a four-year BSN degree. Those who are eligible must show proof of (not all inclusive):
- Successful completion of a state approved LPN/LVN program
- Full-time nursing practice for one year
- Current, unencumbered license to practice as a LPN/LVN
Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN)
The Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) degree program is designed to prepare a nurse to become a Registered Nurse (RN). This program has general pre-nursing courses as well as clinical and lecture nursing courses. The program can be completed within two years, but it is recommended to complete some or all of the general education courses before beginning the two-year nursing classes and clinical practicum(s). At the end, the nurse is eligible to apply to sit for the NCLEX examination, which leads to state licensure for Registered Nurses.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
This four-year program prepares nursing students to begin nursing practice in a multitude of settings including acute and long-term care, community and school health, and critical care. There are three semesters of academic courses to complete before the student can be accepted into clinical courses.
Students must complete five semesters of clinical courses on the Shreveport campus or Alexandria Rapides Regional Medical Center Campus.
After completing the degree for a BSN, the graduate is eligible to apply to sit for the NCLEX and become licensed as an RN in their state.
RN to BSN
This program is for RNs who have graduated from an ASN or Diploma program and desire to pursue higher education. The program is flexible for the needs of the working nurse. Internet classes are offered from Shreveport and traditional daytime classes are offered in Alexandria.
Northwestern State University and the following universities have agreed to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding for articulation with Associate of Science in Nursing degree programs. This will allow students to complete their ASN and transfer their credit hours to Northwestern State University in partial fulfillment of degree requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Collaboration with these universities makes it easier for students to complete their degrees.
- Southern University Shreveport Curriculum Pattern
- Bossier Parish Community College Curriculum Pattern
- LSU Eunice Curriculum Pattern
- Delgado Community College Curriculum Pattern
- Louisiana Tech Curriculum Pattern
- Baton Rouge Community College Curriculum Pattern
- Fletcher Technical Community College
- Panola Community College
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program at Northwestern State University (NSU) College of Nursing and School of Allied Health in Shreveport, Louisiana, provides higher education for nurses who wish to specialize in their field and enhance their expertise. They will gain the expert knowledge, skills, and attitude of an MSN-prepared nurse. Northwestern State University provides a variety of options for the MSN nurse.
MSN Concentrations - Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP)
- Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner (AGPCNP)
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Primary Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PCPNP)
- Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner (WHNP)
- Adult-Gerontology Nursing
- Adult-Gerontology Critical Care Nursing
- Maternal, Child, and Family Nursing
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program at Northwestern State University provides students a doctorate level of practice to help impact healthcare outcomes for vulnerable populations at the highest clinical level.
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) to DNP Leadership
- Organizational Systems Leadership (for non-APRNs)
Rankings and Designations
Northwestern State University earned the 2019-2020 Military Friendly School designation from Victory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs, STEM Jobs SM and Military Spouse.
NSU is listed in the Top 10 "The Best Colleges in Louisiana" by BestValueSchools.org (2018).
NSU ranked one of the 50 Best Accredited Online Colleges and Universities by BestColleges.com (2018).
US News & World Report (2019-2020)
- #107-#141 in Regional Universities South
- #75 (tie) in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs
- #264-#346 in Best Online Bachelor's Programs
- #131 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- Best Online Colleges in America #19
- Top Public Universities in America #257
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #343
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #349
- Colleges with the Best Professors in America #352
- Best College Campuses in America #496
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #582
- Best Colleges in America #669
- Safest College Campuses in America #819
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #883
- Colleges with the Best Professors in Louisiana #5
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in Louisiana #6
- Top Public Universities in Louisiana #6
- Most Conservative Colleges in Louisiana #6
- Safest College Campuses in Louisiana #8
- Best College Campuses in Louisiana #8
- Best Colleges in Louisiana #10
- Most Diverse Colleges in Louisiana #10
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Louisiana #11
College Factual (2018)
- #9 Best Colleges for the Money in Louisiana
- #720 on the Best Colleges for the Money nationally
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) program at Northwestern State University was ranked as the seventh best program in the United States, according to guidetoonlineschools.com (2016).
NCLEX Pass Rates (2018)
- ADN - 93.26%
- BSN - 96.32%
Northwestern State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
The Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program at NSU is also accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Edited by sirI