- Location Millersville, Pennsylvania
- Programs BSN, DNP, MSN, RN-to-BSN, MSN-to-DNP, NP, Accelerated BSN, Post-grad Certificate, Other
- Website URL Visit Website
Founded in 1855, Millersville University (Millersville University or MU) is one of the most highly regarded public universities in its region of the United States.
Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Rn to BSN)
The RN to BSN program is designed for those who have obtained the Associate's degree in Nursing or Diploma and RN license. For the RN to BSN program, applicants must possess a current, unencumbered RN license.
The program is offered in two formats: Traditional Format (Online and face-to-face) and 100% Online Format.
Applicants may also apply as transfer students or those with a BS degree may apply as a student selecting a Second Bachelor's degree.
The BSN program is offered at the Harrisburg location and is taught by Millersville University nursing faculty.
Admission (not all inclusive)
Applicants must satisfy all admissions requirements as outlined on the application instructions, however, new nursing graduates may be accepted pending the results of the NCLEX examination. MU accepts students on a rolling admission basis. Applicants should have official copies of pre-professional nursing school, high school and college (if any) transcripts sent to Millersville University Office of Admissions.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
For those who wish to pursue an advanced practice role.
Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
The Family/Individual Across the Lifespan Nurse Practitioner program is designed for the part-time student. Completion of the program requires the completion of 43 theory hours and 672 clinical hours. Graduates are eligible for licensure by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing and national certification as offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center and the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners.
Completion of the program requires 35 theory hours and 112 clinical hours. Graduates are prepared to teach in nursing education programs or health care agencies.
Admission (not all inclusive)
- BSN from accredited school of nursing (ACEN or CCNE)
- Undergraduate 3.0 GPA (provisional acceptance considered if below 3.0)
- Undergraduate statistics and research course
- 3 current academic and/or professional references
- Current, unencumbered Pennsylvania RN license or in the state where clinical practice or internship is to be arranged
- Minimum of one-year clinical nursing experience
- Current resume
- Personal interview with the Nursing Admissions Committee
Post-Master's FNP Certificate
The Post-Master’s Certificate option is designed to provide individuals who already hold an MSN with the core courses and clinical experiences necessary for eligibility for family nurse practitioner certification. Selected courses from a previous MSN program may meet requirements for the Post-Master’s Family Nurse Practitioner certificate.
School Nurse Certificate
This is a post-baccalaureate program designed for the BSN wishing to gain certification through the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) for School Nursing.
School Health Services Supervisory Certificate
This program is for the School Nurse Certificate holding a Specialist II Certification and a master's degree. Five years' experience in the area of supervision is required.
Admission (not all inclusive)
- Current RN license
- Current immunizations for hepatitis B, diphtheria/tetanus, varicella, rubella/rubeola, polio
- TB testing
- malpractice insurance ($1,000,000/$3,000,000 aggregate coverage)
- Child abuse clearance
- Criminal history check
- FBI fingerprinting
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The program is designed for Registered Nurses who already have a master's degree in a related area (MSN, MPH and others). The MU Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) builds upon one's previous graduate education and healthcare experience.
Developed in line with the goals and objectives of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), the program prepares individuals to lead healthcare change and translate evidence into practice, collaborate intra-professionally to improve patient care outcomes, as well as advocate and provide leadership for health policy.
About the Program
- Designed for part-time study
- Cohort model
- Hybrid format: mix of online instruction plus 2 weekends (Friday/Saturday) per semester
- 36 credits
- 330 hours of clinical experiences and successful completion of a scholarly project
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Current RN License
- Goal statement
- Writing sample
- Current resume/CV
- Letter of verification of graduate-level clinical hours from institution granting degree
- MSN, MPH or other related graduate degree with 3.5 GPA or higher.
- Successful interview
Millersville University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
The BSN and MSN Nursing programs are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Affordable Colleges Online (2018)
- #3 for Most Affordable Online Colleges
- #25 in the state with the greatest lifetime return on investment (ROI)
US News & World Report (2019)
- #103 (tie) in Regional Universities North
- #29 (tie) in Top Public Schools
- #194 (tie) in Best Online Bachelor's Programs
- Top Public Universities in America #290 of 672
- Best College Locations in America #523 of 1,553
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #654 of 687
- Best College Campuses in America #677 of 1,408
- Best Value Colleges in America #706 of 1,590
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #723 of 1,591
- Best Colleges in America#741 of 1,647
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #881 of 1,592
- Top Public Universities in Pennsylvania #12 of 38
- Best College Locations in Pennsylvania #29 of 107
- Best College Campuses in Pennsylvania #33 of 104
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Pennsylvania #41 of 111
- Most Liberal Colleges in Pennsylvania #43 of 44
- Best Colleges in Pennsylvania #49 of 111
- Most Diverse Colleges in Pennsylvania #51 of 105
- Best Value Colleges in Pennsylvania #71 of 110
- Best Value Colleges in Lancaster Area #3 of 4
- Best Colleges in Lancaster Area #4 of 4
MU is listed on Princeton Review's "Guide To 353 Green Colleges" for its sustainability efforts and environmental initiatives.
Millersville has been recognized by Military Friendly Schools as being among the top 20% of schools nationwide that deliver the best experience for military students.
Edited by sirI