Loyola University New Orleans is a private, non-profit institution that opened its doors in 1904 and was chartered as a university in 1912.
Loyola University offers opportunities for professional studies in Undergraduate and selected Graduate programs.
Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-to-BSN)
Loyola University offers an RN to BSN program designed for the busy working nurse. With the program 100% online, it leaves it flexible for nurses to work and have families as they conveniently receive a quality nursing education. Students bring with them the knowledge and skills obtained from their previously earned Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN/ADN) degree or Diploma in Nursing and advance to the next level ensuring them that they will be uniquely qualified in today's competitive job market.
Students can transfer up to 90 credits, including 64 from an Associate's Degree program when coming into the RN-BSN program.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Bridge to Leadership Education in Nursing at a Distance (BLEND)
Current RNs with an existing bachelor's degree in a discipline other than nursing, can pursue an MSN through our Bridge to Leadership Education in Nursing at a Distance (BLEND) option.
The Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program at Loyola University New Orleans prepares nursing students for leadership roles in an Advanced Practice role.
Three tracks are available at Loyola University:
- Health Care Systems Management
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
- Nurse Educator
With Loyola University's Nurse Educator program, nurses are prepared to become teachers for the future generation of nurses. This program will be focused on (not all inclusive):
- Pedagogical theory as applied to nursing
- Assessment of student learning
- Curriculum design and development
- Other programs include nursing leadership positions:
- Care Coordinator
- Case Manager
- Nurse Consultant
- Nurse Executive
- Nurse Manager
- Outcomes Manager
- Product Line Manager
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
Loyola University New Orleans offers two Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degrees including:
- Post-Baccalaureate Doctor of Nursing Practice (BSN-to-DNP)
- Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice (MSN-to-DNP)
BSN to DNP
At Loyola, nurses who obtain a BSN degree are able to advance their studies to the BSN-to-DNP program. This program will allow the BSN prepared nurse to earn a DNP degree with concentration on a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) specialty.
Special Note of Importance
Partial completion of this program will not result in awarding the MSN degree. This program will be a continuous progression to the DNP level.
Family Nurse Practitioner
Those who participate in this program will be prepared in an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) role to become eligible to sit for the certification exam with the American Association of Nurse Practitioners Family Nurse Practitioner or the American Nurses Credentialing Center exam for Family Nurse Practitioner.
Master of Science in Nursing to Doctor of Nursing Practice (MSN to DNP)
This online program is focused on those nurses who have obtained an MSN and ready to progress to the DNP. There are two programs available at this advanced level of practice:
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Executive Leader
These programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), which in turn, prepare the Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) recipient to lead teams, organizations, and individuals within the complex health care system.
Loyola University New Orleans is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
The baccalaureate degree in nursing, master's degree in nursing, and Doctor of Nursing Practice programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Rankings and Recognitions
US News & World Report (2019-2020)
- #12 in Regional Universities South
- #7 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #12 in Best Value Schools
- #42 (tie) in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs
- #159 (tie) in Best Online Bachelor's Programs
- #17 in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans
- #91 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #79 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Best Catholic Colleges in America #32 of 165
- Best College Locations in America #66 of 1,553
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #107 of 687
- Best Small Colleges in America #116 of 997
- Top Private Universities in America #205 of 975
- Best Colleges in America #310 of 1,647
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #646 of 1,592
- Best Value Colleges in America #751 of 1,590
- Best Small Colleges in Louisiana #1 of 8
- Best Catholic Colleges in Louisiana #1 of 3
- Best College Locations in Louisiana #2 of 20
- Top Private Universities in Louisiana #2 of 6
- Best Colleges in Louisiana #3 of 20
- Most Diverse Colleges in Louisiana #5 of 20
- Best College Campuses in Louisiana #6 of 18
- Best Value Colleges in Louisiana #8 of 20
- Best Colleges in New Orleans Area #2 of 6
- Best Value Colleges in New Orleans Area #3 of 6
Princeton Review (2018)
- The Best 384 Colleges
- Best Southeastern
- Green Colleges
- #475 Top Colleges
- #312 in Private Colleges
- #100 in the South
College Factual (2018)
- #13 Best Colleges for the Money in Louisiana
- #502 Overall Best Colleges for the Money nationally
Loyola University New Orleans is featured in Fiske Guide to Colleges (2018).