- NCLEX Pass Rate 88
- Location Indianapolis, Indiana
- Programs BSN, DNP, MSN, RN-to-MSN, RN-to-BSN, Entry-Level BSN, MSN-to-DNP, MSN to PhD, CNS, NP, PhD, BSN-to-PhD, Master's, Accelerated BSN, Post-grad Certificate, Other
- Website URL Visit Website
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), a public research university, is the result of a 1969 merger of Purdue Indianapolis Extension Center and Indiana University Indianapolis.
The School of Nursing has grown to become the largest school in the country to offer a full range of academic degrees.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Traditional
The BSN traditional track is for those who have the desire to become a registered nurse. Nursing degree courses will take approximately three years to complete. Most students are able to work part time jobs. Students who complete a semester of clinicals are encouraged to apply for a Patient Care Technician (PCT) or Patient Care Assistant (PCA) position at several of the hospitals in Indianapolis.
Admission requirements include a 3.6–3.7 GPA and TEAS test score 65% or better.
RN to BSN Online Degree Completion
The online RN to BSN program can be complete in as little as 12 months.
The program is designed for the working RN who holds an associate's degree or diploma in nursing and has work or other family obligations.
There are eight Indiana University School of Nursing campuses across the state of Indiana that collaboratively created the RN to BSN degree completion program. Therefore, nursing courses are distance accessible and utilize web-based and video technologies. Nursing courses are delivered in six- or eight-week learning modules. Clinical experiences can be completed in the area in which the student works.
BSN Accelerated Second Degree
This program is designed for nurses who hold a bachelor's degree in another field and want to earn their BSN. After completing general education courses, students can go on to complete twenty-one months of full-time study to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
The Master of Science in Nursing graduate program students are in high demand for elite Nursing positions after graduation.
- Nursing Education (online)
- Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist (distance-accessible)
- Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist (distance-accessible)
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Lifespan (distance-accessible)
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Primary Care)
- Nursing Leadership in Health Systems
RN to MSN
This program is for Nurses who hold an Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) degree or a nursing Diploma from an accredited program and have earned several general education credits.
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Cumulative undergraduate 3.0 GPA or higher from all colleges/universities attended
- Nursing program accredited by ACEN or CCNE
- At least two years of full-time current practice as an RN in a clinical setting relevant to the graduate track
- Unencumbered Indiana RN license
Each of the MSN tracks has a Post-master's option available. The option varies depending on previous coursework and program of study. A minimum of 12 credits is required to earn the certificate and the applicant must hold a Master of Science in Nursing degree.
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The program can be completed in as little as 20 months, or five semesters.
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- MS in nursing or MSN from NLNAC, ACEN, or CCNE accredited program
- Cumulative GPA 3.3 or higher
- Documentation of master's clinical hours
- Unencumbered RN license in student's state of practice
- Graduate level Statistics
- Three references
- Essay and formal interview with faculty members
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing Science
The PhD program is a full time, three-year program with the option to complete on a 5-year, part-time basis.
The entire program is online learning with videoconference technology capability. The exception is an on-campus intensive session that is held for a week or two at the beginning of every summer. The program is available for BSN nurses; a master’s degree is not required for the program. The PhD curriculum consists of 90 credit hours; BSN to PhD bridge coursework consists of 30 credit hours.
BSN to PhD
This is a full-time, four-year program. There is a 6-year part-option available.
Teaching in Nursing Certificate
This program can be completed in two and a half years, but must be completed within four years. The graduate certificate is an online certificate program that consists of the guidelines recommended by the NLN Nurse Educator Competencies.
Successful completion of the certificate program fulfills the educational requirements for the NLN Certification for Nurse Educators program. The program prepares the nurse to take the CNE exam.
Accreditation and Approval
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the BSN, MSN, and DNP programs.
IUPUI is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
The Indiana State Board of Nursing approved the BSN program.
Rankings and Distinctions
The Princeton Review listed IUPUI in their Green Colleges listings for (2018-2019).
Of those who receive funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) the IU School of Nursing ranked at #14.
NLN Center of Excellence in Nursing Education Designation(s)
- Advance the Science of Nursing Education (2016-2021)
- Promote the Pedagogical Expertise of Faculty (2017-2022)
US News & World Report (2020)
- #194 (tie) in National Universities
- #45 (tie) in Most Innovative Schools
- #106 (tie) in Top Public Schools
- #23 (tie) in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs
- #46 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #54 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- #305 (tie) in Best Global Universities
- Best Big Colleges in America #101 of 131
- Top Public Universities in America #183 of 672
- Best College Locations in America #297 of 1,553
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #420 of 1,591
- Best Colleges in America #490 of 1,647
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #533 of 1,592
- Best Value Colleges in America #679 of 1,590
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #720 of 725
- Best College Locations in Indiana #2 of 41
- Top Public Universities in Indiana #4 of 15
- Best Big Colleges in Indiana #4 of 4
- Most Diverse Colleges in Indiana #11 of 42
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Indiana #15 of 42
- Best Colleges in Indiana #17 of 42
- Best Value Colleges in Indiana #21 of 42
- Most Conservative Colleges in Indiana #27 of 27
- Best Colleges in Indianapolis Area #2 of 7
- Best Value Colleges in Indianapolis Area #5 of 7
- #593 Top Colleges
- #215 in Public Colleges
- #233 in Research Universities
- #143 in the Midwest
- #275 America's Best Value Colleges
College Factual IUPUI Nursing (2018-2019)
- #23 Most Popular Online
- #30 Most Popular
- #78 Top Ranked Online
- #102 Top Ranked Veterans
- #158 Best For Non-Traditional Students
- #182 Top Ranked
- #287 Highest Paid Grads
- #308 Best Value
- #539 Most Focused