Founded in 1890 as the Arkadelphia Methodist College, Henderson State University (HSU) is a public four-year liberal arts university located in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. Henderson State University is proud to show 125 years of being the heart of the community in Arkadelphia.
Henderson State University Nursing Degree Programs
- Online Registered Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) available for registered nurses with flexible practicum projects
- Dual Degree RN to BSN program available at National Park College and in Hot Springs
- RN to BSN program with partial face-to-face coursework in Hot Springs and partial online classes
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (Traditional BSN) available on campus in Arkadelphia
- Traditional Licensed Practical Nurse to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (LPN to BSN) available on campus in Arkadelphia
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
Those who enter a BSN program are looking for a fulfilling career with opportunities to help others and work in a variety of healthcare settings.
Students will gain the knowledge to become a Registered Nurse (RN). The program trains the student in the curriculum that is based on liberal arts and nursing courses with the incorporation of innovative technology. Students will be working side-by-side with professors and nurses who will teach everything they know about the profession. Small class sizes allow students to connect with his or her professors, giving the students opportunities to ask questions, research, and experience what the nursing world is like.
RN to BSN
Applicants who hold their associate's degree or diploma are eligible to complete the four-year degree. Henderson State University's Department of Nursing provides an option for students to complete their BSN in one year. Students have the option to come to the classroom in Hot Springs, complete courses online, or both. All applicants must have a current RN license and cumulative grade point average of 2.5 in earlier nursing courses.
Pass rates are high for the first time on the RN NCLEX licensure exam and 100 percent of the nurses get jobs after graduation.
Admission Criteria for the Department of Nursing (not all inclusive)
- Apply and gain admission to Henderson State University as a Pre-Nursing Major
- Meeting with Nursing Faculty assigned by Academic Advisor between November and February
- Admission Criteria Letter
- Complete (or be within one semester of completing) prerequisite courses with a minimum GPA of 2.5 or better. Science and Math courses require a grade of "C'" or better
- TEAS Entrance Exam - will only consider score within the past 365 days
- Current transcript
- ACT, SAT, or COMPASS scores, TEAS scores
- Criteria Letter
- AHA HCP CPR Certification
- Liability Insurance - Coverage is handled on a group policy through the Department of Nursing
Rankings and Recognitions
US News & World Report (2019)
- #91 (tie) in Regional Universities South
- #36 (tie) in Top Public Schools
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #356 of 725
- Best College Dorms in America #577 of 1,370
- Best College Campuses in America #634 of 1,408
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #742 of 1,591
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #792 of 1,592
- Most Diverse Colleges in Arkansas #8 of 19
- Most Conservative Colleges in Arkansas #8 of 12
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Arkansas #10 of 19
- Best College Dorms in Arkansas #10 of 18
- Best College Campuses in Arkansas #11 of 18
College Factual (2018-2019)
- #10 Best Colleges for the Money in Arkansas
- #395 Best Colleges for the Money nationally
RegisteredNursing.org ranked Henderson State University's nursing program as the best in Arkansas.
The Arkansas State Board of Nursing recognized the Henderson State University Department of Nursing for its excellent pass rates on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) for new nurses.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the Henderson State University (HSU) Online RN to BSN Program.
Henderson State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.