- NCLEX Pass Rate 88
- Location Miami, Florida
- Programs BSN, DNP, MSN, RN-to-BSN, Entry-Level BSN, MSN-to-DNP, MSN to PhD, CRNA, NP, PhD, BSN-to-PhD, Accelerated BSN, Post-grad Certificate, Other
- Visit Website Click For More Information!
In 1972, the Florida International University opened as a public institution.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) tracks benefit Nurses in many ways. Nurses who complete their BSN are eligible to apply for graduate programs with advanced nursing degrees, such as a Master of Science in Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice, or Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD).
The Generic BSN can be completed at a full-time status over 5 semesters. The graduate is eligible to become licensed in his/her state as an RN upon passing the National Council Licensure Examination (RN-NCLEX).
Minimum Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Associate of Arts (AA) from a Florida state college or completion of all FIU Core Curriculum requirements including Gordon Rule and foreign language requirements
- Minimum cumulative 3.25 GPA or higher for all coursework
- Completion of all general education requirements and nursing prerequisites
- Successful completion of ATI TEAS (Sixth Edition) nursing entrance exam
Accelerated Option (AO) BSN
This program is specifically designed for those who have previously earned a Bachelor’s degree in another field. The program consists of 3 semesters of full-time coursework.
Upon completion of the program, the graduate is eligible to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination (RN-NCLEX) and become eligible for state RN licensure.
Minimum Requirements - Accelerated Option (not all inclusive)
- Previous Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) from a regionally accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 for all coursework
- Minimum cumulative 3.25 GPA or higher for all nursing prerequisite courses
- Successful completion of ATI TEAS exam with passing scores
- Completion of all Nursing prerequisites with 'C' grade or better
- Prerequisites must be completed by the end of the Summer semester prior to Fall admission
RN to BSN (Online)
The RN to BSN is an online program designed for RNs who have the desire to complete a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree.
Veterans to BSN (VBSN)
This program is designed specifically for recently discharged U.S. military veterans and reservists from all military branches who have medical training as well as veterans without military medical backgrounds who are paramedic certified.
Minimum Requirements for all Students (not all inclusive)
- Meets minimum US Military / Reservist paramedic medical experience requirement with additional civilian healthcare experience as needed
- Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a Florida community college, previous Bachelor’s degree from any accredited college or university, or completion of the FIU core curriculum
- Minimum cumulative GPA 2.5 or higher
- Successful TEAS nursing entrance exam with 70% overall minimum score / 62% minimum science score
- Completion of all Nursing prerequisites with a 'C'
Effective Fall 2018, the DNP and the BSN to DNP programs do not require the GRE for admission.
BSN to DNP Adult Gerontology NP
This program prepares graduates to care for adolescents and young, middle and older adults.
BSN to DNP Child NP
This program prepares graduates to deliver care for newborns, children and young adults.
BSN to DNP Family NP
The Family NP program prepares graduates to be providers of primary health care services to families and individuals of all ages including pregnant and postpartum women in various urban and rural settings.
BSN to DNP Psychiatric Mental Health NP
This specialty track focuses on advanced nursing practice of individuals, families and communities (across the lifespan) with psychiatric and/or mental health problems in primary, secondary, and tertiary care settings.
Nurse Educator Certificate
This certificate is designed for graduates that want to function in a variety of educational settings including schools of nursing and health care facilities. Graduates are qualified to sit for the National League for Nursing (NLN) Certified Nurse Educator examination.
NP Clinical Education
NP Clinical education is critical to the career choice. Students in the Advance Adult, Child, and Family Health Nursing tracks have flexible clinical experiences in a variety of clinical settings including ambulatory or acute care settings, clinics and health centers. Students work with preceptor nurse practitioners and physicians in general and specialty practices to complete the required clinical hours within their specialty scope of practice.
FEP to BSN/MSN
Please note this program is for Foreign-Educated Physicians ONLY.
BSN to DNP
Admission Criteria (not all inclusive)
- 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA or greater
- Current Florida RN license
- BSN from NLNAC or CCNE accredited program
- Written essay
- 3 professional recommendations
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Interview with BSN to DNP admissions committee
- GRE scores
- Current licensure with no restrictions as an ARNP in state of residence
- Proof of Advanced Practice Specialty Certification
Master of Science in Nursing
The graduate nursing programs, located at the Nicole Wertheim College of Nursing & Health Sciences (NWCNHS), are designed to prepare students for professional careers as Nurse Practitioners (NP).
Graduates are eligible to sit for the Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) certification through the Florida Board of Nursing.
Post-Master's Nurse Practitioner Certificate
The Post-Master’s Nurse Practitioner Certificates are only available to graduates that hold an MSN degree from an NLNAC or CCNE accredited program. Graduates qualify to sit for the national certification examination in their area of specialty.
- Nurse Educator
- Advanced Adult Gerontology NP
- Family NP
- Pediatric NP
- Psychiatric-Mental Health NP
DNP Nurse Anesthesia
The Department of Nurse Anesthetist Practice has recently moved the MSN degree to the DNP degree for entry to practice for new nurse anesthetists.
This program is a considered a clinical specialty track within the DNP program of the Graduate Nursing Department at the Florida International University Nicole Wertheim College of Nursing & Health Sciences. The program is nine semesters long at a continuous full-time study plan. After completing the program, graduates will be eligible to take the National Certification Examination to become a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) as well as apply for the Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) credential with a specialization as a nurse anesthetist from the Florida Board of Nursing.
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is 100% online. It is designed for nurses that have earned a Master's degree or Post-Master's certificate in an Advanced Practice Nursing specialty role as well as an advanced practice certification in his/her degree specialty.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing
The PhD program, established and approved by the Florida Board of Governors in 2003, prepares nurses to become leaders and educators. (In 2009, a BSN to PhD track was added for students who demonstrate outstanding academic accomplishment in their undergraduate courses.)
Admission Requirements (not all inclusive)
- MSN from accredited institution
- Master’s program 3.3 GPA or higher
- Master’s level statistics course
- GRE within the last 5 years
- Current RN or RN with Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP) certification in Florida
- Current professional Liability Insurance
The Modesto Maidique Campus in Southwest Miami-Dade County, Florida is the home to the Nursing & Health Sciences Building. There is also a satellite site on the Biscayne Bay Campus in North Miami, which is home to the Foreign-Educated Physician to Nursing program.
Accreditation and Approval
Florida International University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the BSN, MSN, and Doctor of Nursing Practice programs.
The Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA) accredited the Nurse Anesthesia Program.
Florida State Board of Nursing approved all nursing programs.
Rankings and Accolades
US News & World Report (2019-2020)
- #187 (tie) in National Universities
- #100 (tie) in Top Public Schools
- #58 (tie) in Best Online Bachelor's Programs
- #37 (tie) in Best Online Bachelor's Programs for Veterans
- #50 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- #56 (tie) Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #88 in Nursing: Anesthesia
- #409 (tie) Best Global Universities
- Best Big Colleges in America #78 of 131
- Top Public Universities in America #95 of 672
- Best College Campuses in America #130 of 1,408
- Best Colleges in America #273 of 1,647
- Best College Dorms in America #439 of 1,370
- Best College Locations in America #529 of 1,553
- Best Value Colleges in America #675 of 1,590
- Top Public Universities in Florida #5 of 37
- Best Big Colleges in Florida #5 of 9
- Best College Campuses in Florida #8 of 41
- Best Colleges in Florida #10 of 75
- Best Value Colleges in Florida #11 of 67
- Best College Dorms in Florida #11 of 39
- Most Diverse Colleges in Florida #14 of 75
- Best College Locations in Florida #39 of 70
- Best Value Colleges in Miami Area #2 of 18
- Best Colleges in Miami Area #3 of 18
- #164 America's Best Value Colleges
- #156 Best Employers for Diversity
- #459 Top Colleges
- #157 in Public Colleges
- #190 in Research Universities
- #93 in the South
FIU is ranked #206 in MONEY's Best Colleges For Your Money (2018).
FIU is ranked in the top tier of research universities in the nation by Carnegie Research Classification - R1: Doctoral Universities - Highest Research Activity.
FIU is listed as Top 10 Best Nursing Schools in Florida by nurse.org.