- NCLEX Pass Rate 96
- Location Provo, Utah
- Programs BSN, MSN, NP
- Visit Website Click For More Information!
Brigham Young University (BYU), a school founded and supported by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as the Mormon church), is a private, non-profit institution that was founded in 1875.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
This program is designed for the full-time student. Students carry as many as 16 credits most semesters. The six semesters of nursing courses include up to 12 hours of clinical experience each week. Because of the rigors of this study plan, students should not expect to be employed more than 10-12 hours a week during their program.
Student resources include a fully equipped Nursing Learning Center with audiovisual and computer learning aides, as well as a research center and a state-of-the-art clinical simulation laboratory. Clinical practice opportunities exist in a variety of urban and rural hospital, home, and community settings along the Wasatch Front and beyond.
Graduates are eligible to sit for the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX-RN) necessary to become a Registered Nurse.
Admission (not all inclusive)
- Pre-requisite courses with at least a 'C'
- ACT or SAT on file at BYU
- The college of nursing is looking for an ongoing commitment to service over time (5 years) in community, school, and church service/leadership; continuous involvement in organized service opportunities is encouraged whether the student is involved in many short-term projects, or fewer long-term projects
- Impromptu essays
- Recommendations are online forms to be filled out by the recommender
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
The College of Nursing offers a generic Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) program that leads to the Master of Science (M.S.) degree.
Family Nurse Practitioner
In order to offer the most advanced clinical opportunities, the College of Nursing requires the graduate students to travel for clinical experiences. Clinical agencies in urban and rural Utah are available for the family nurse practitioner internship.
Admission (not all inclusive)
- BSN from a school accredited by CCNE or ACEN
- Current, unencumbered RN licensure in Utah
- Basic undergraduate statistics
- College level pathophysiology
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or better
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of applicant’s purposes and goals
- Personal interview
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Completion of an impromptu writing experience
- Minimum of one year of experience as an RN
Accreditation and Approval
BYU is accredited as an institution by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).
The Brigham Young University College of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
The Brigham Young University College of Nursing is fully approved by the Utah State Board of Nursing.
US News & World Report (2020)
- #66 (tie) in National Universities
- #11 in Best Value Schools
- #126 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #601 (tie) in Best Global Universities
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #3 of 725
- Best Christian Colleges in America #3 of 356
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #12 of 599
- Best Big Colleges in America #15 of 131
- Best College Campuses in America #17 of 1,408
- Top Private Universities in America #55 of 975
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #62 of 1,542
- Best Colleges in America #69 of 1,647
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #81 of 1,591
- BestCollege Dorms in America #101 of 1,370
- Best Value Colleges in America #134 of 1,590
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #1,356 of 1,592
- Best Colleges in Utah #1 of 13
- Best Value Colleges in Utah #1 of 13
- Colleges with the Best Academics in Utah #1 of 12
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in Utah #1 of 10
- Best College Campuses in Utah #1 of 8
- Best College Dorms in Utah #1 of 7
- Top Private Universities in Utah #1 of 6
- Best Big Colleges in Utah #1 of 5
- Best Colleges for Nursing in Utah #1 of 5
- Most Conservative Colleges in Utah #1 of 5
- Most Diverse Colleges in Utah #10 of 12
- Best Colleges in Salt Lake City Area #1 of 9
- Best Value Colleges in Salt Lake City Area #1 of 9
- #86 Top Colleges
- #67 in Private Colleges
- #46 in Research Universities
- #18 in the West
- #1 America's Best Value Colleges
The Princeton Review (2019)
- The Best 384 Colleges
- Best Western
- Best Value Colleges
- Colleges That Pay You Back
- Best-Run Colleges #13
- Colleges That Pay You Back w/o Aid #17
- Most Conservative Students #12
- Most Religious Students #6
- Top 25 Entrepreneurship: Ugrad #3
- Top 50 - Colleges That Pay You Back #34
MONEY Magazine ranked BYU #102 Best Colleges For Your Money (2018-2019).
#1 Top colleges in the West for student engagement (Wall Street Journal).
#2 MBA value for money (Financial Times).
#5 Graduates who go on to earn doctorates (National Opinion Research Center).
#13 U.S. employability (Times Higher Education).
Edited by sirI