Can a RN work under a direct entry midwife in Alaska?

  1. I have an opportunity to work at a birthing center in Anchorage that only has direct entry midwifes and I wasn't sure if I am allowed to work there or not. Does anyone know anything about it or know a place I can look?
  2. Visit schisler profile page

    About schisler

    Joined: Dec '08; Posts: 4


  3. by   CP2013
    Alaska BON?

    That would be my guess. I think it is something your facility should also be able to provide you with information about, but I think being in remote areas changes things SIGNIFICANTLY.

    I don't know how you do it, but kudos!
  4. by   Gennaver
    Are you asking if an RN can work under the supervision of a Clinical Nurse Midwife in Alaska? I am not sure why you list the entry degree as the only credentials because that is their degree program and not a certification. Doesn't a Clinical Nurse Midwife is the certification of the midwife, right?

    Does the birthing clinic have an affiliation with a physician?

  5. by   Alikatz
    There are different types of midwives. CNM = Certified Nurse Midwife, which go into the midwifery program with a Bachelors of Science in Nursing as RN's and then become certified, by The American College of Nurse Midwives. All of the CNM's I know have their Master's. CNM's have the largest scope of practice and can offer the most services compared to the other types of midwives. There are Certified Professional Midwives (meets standards of the North American Registry of Midwives), Direct Entry Midwife (as mentioned above), is trained independently as a midwife through either apprenticeship, midwifery school, or college. There are also Certified Midwives and Lay Midwives.

    As CP said, I would contact the Alaska BON for sure to find out more information. It all depends on where you work/live of course.