Kind of nurse who gives stitches?

Specialties Emergency


I'm a newbie, so forgive me if this sounds silly. I'm about to start a nursing program and I've just spent a day in the ER at a local hospital. I love the ER. So much more interesting than the nursing home I work in. While I was there, I watched the doctor drain an abscess and give another patient two stitches. Cool!

My question is: Can I qualify to perform minor surgeries like that without getting an MD, a PA or an NP? I can't find specific information on the scope of practice of nurses with certifications such as CEN. I've heard about some nurses assisting with surgery. Can these nurses stitch people up in the ER?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)


1,260 Posts

Specializes in O.R., ED, M/S.

You can go through an RNFA course. To qualify you must have two years experience in the OR and be CNOR certified. Go on line to AORN and it will give you all that you need. Good luck, Mike

This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X