Can it be done?

  1. Hello, Hoosier nurses.
    My fiance and I need some help. Lyn has been granted a K1 (fiance) visa and will be arriving in the US from the Philippines in about a month to marry me. She just received her BSN from Western Mindanao State University, but waited to be licensed here in Indiana as an RN. Has anyone any information about how an unlicensed foreign graduate nurse goes about being licensed here? I believe Indiana requires the CGFNS, but without a license already in place, she is not eligible to take it. There must be a way that I am overlooking, and we'd surely appreciate someone pointing us in the right direction.
    Thank you for any and all comments.
  2. Visit nursehubby profile page

    About nursehubby

    Joined: Sep '07; Posts: 5


  3. by   incublissRN
    You might want to post this in the international nursing forum to get more responses.

    Good luck!
  4. by   Innurse78
    I moved here to the USA from Canada but already had my nursing license. All I needed to do was pay my money, supply a copy of my license and have a certain grade on passing my nursing exams in Ontario. You need to contact the Health Professions Board in Indianapolis and they will be able to help you.
    I do not think that if your fiance is not licensed already from her native country whee she took the program, she cannot get licensed here. She will likely be required to go to Educational Credentialing to see what courses in the Phillipines corespond with the courses here in the USA. If they do, I believe she can take the NCLEX here but if not, she will need to take those courses here in the USA.
    Best to call them in Indy or better yet, go to their office and speak to them in person.
    Good luck!