school loans, books, etc.

  1. I am sure that this question has been here many times before. But I am still going to ask. I am like 5 miles from the state line. I live in GA and am attending school in TN. Is anyone else in this situation? How do you pay for school? In state is 1800 a sem and out of state is 5200. My work will pay 2000 a year but that still puts me at paying 13600! Then i have books. What about loans? Where can i get them with no credit. I don't have any beacon at all. Is there financial help for parents with small kids?
  2. Visit GAstudent profile page

    About GAstudent

    Joined: Mar '03; Posts: 181


  3. by   RN 2005
    I live in Georgia as well. I have no idea where exactly you are in the state, but I know some schools that are near the border allow the neighboring county the next state over to attend at instate tuition rate. Maybe that will apply to you. As far as loans you need to fill out the FAFSA. It is the federal form you need to complete so that you are eligible for federal aid and or loans. You may qualify for a Pell Grant which does not need to be paid back. You can also use stafford loans which are not credit based. If you happen to be an Independent student you can get quite a bit of aid through the Stafford. Even if you are a dependent student I think you can get at least $2,600 a year on Stafford. The loan will not be due until 6 months after you leave school. The bottom line is fill out the FAFSA ASAP! It is free to fill out but it needs to be done as early as possible to be eligible for aid this fall. Get to know your Financial Aid department employees very well! If you are persistent enough in your questions you will get the help you need. Good luck to you!
  4. by   GAstudent
    I got phell. But the school will not allow in state tuition for surrounding counties. What is the difference in dependant and independant? thanks
  5. by   RN 2005
    I copied the following off the internet:
    Being considered an independent student is not merely a matter of being responsible for your own educational expenses. You must meet at least one of the following six criteria to be declared an independent student for the purposes of the FAFSA:

    Be at least 24 years of age by January 1st of the academic year in which aid is sought.
    Be married (in which case spousal information is required on the FAFSA).
    Be enrolled at a graduate or professional school during the academic year aid is sought.
    Be an orphan or ward of the court, or have been one until the age of 18.
    Be a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
    Have legal dependents other than a spouse, as defined by the U.S. Department of Education.

    Hope this helps!
  6. by   GAstudent
    thanks so much..I am married and have kids so hopfully I can get that..i saw that you can get up to 6500 a sem....that would be great..out of state is 5200 and then books and wonderful you are.