Thomas Jefferson FACT Program

U.S.A. Pennsylvania

Published

Hi.

I have been accepted into the TJU FACT program that begins in May but the orientation isn't until a week before classes begin and I would like to get a better idea of the scheduling. I know it's 5 days a week but does anyone have some more specific info? i have to arrange for child care and transportation and a general idea of the class/clinical hours would be helpful.

also...anyone else out there starting the program with me in May?

Hi, I will also be starting the FACT program with you! I don't know that much about the program either. Its frustrating at times, b/c I am from out of state and I am trying to plan my living suitation and how much everything will cost. Have you received any orientation materials yet? Congrats on getting accepted!

congrats on getting into the program. i lived/worked in philadelphia for years (in fact, my last job was right next door and i lived 4 blocks away) so i'm familiar with the area. if you have any questions i can help with, i'll be glad to give you any info i can. it's a great neighborhood, i really miss living there.

as far as orientation goes, all i know is that it's on tues 5/22, a week before classes begin. i'm dying for more info but i can't seem to find much. I had to call to find out the start date.

if you don't mind my asking, are you coming from far away?

I graduated from the FACT program. You'll have 24 hours a week of clinical plus the classroom load. The schedule will vary - the reason you haven't been given a schedule is that they're probably still trying to finish the schedule. You'll have 4 12 week quarters with a week break between each.

do you have any comments or advice for someone starting the program. i know it's very intense but beyond that i don't really know what to expect. what did you think of the program and do you feel it adequately prepared you for a career in nursing?

Nothing that's covered is very hard in and of itself - it's the pace that'll get you. The best advice I can give is don't fall behind in your studies, thinking you'll catch up later - there is no later.

They really try to help you - they have a very high graduation rate (it was still 100% when I graduated - I don't know if that's still true) and a very high NCLEX first-time pass rate (also 100% when I graduated.)

Oh, and be flexible - the program always seems to be disorganized. Times will change, locations will change - often with next to no warning. If you let it bother you, you'll still have to make the changes, plus you'll raise your blood pressure.

No school can adequately prepare you for a career in nursing, but it'll prepare you to get started, which is about all you can ask.

thanks. that's actually very helpful. at least i'll know to expect a little chaos and that will go a long way toward keeping me from freaking out when it happens. wish me luck and thanks again

Hey everyone,

By any chance, has anyone here had an interview for the FACT program at Jefferson?? I have one in 2 days!!! but don't know what to expect... If anyone can help me out with questions or tips in general, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Hi all -

Now, I realize this forum is about a year old, but I was hoping to get some information from people who have gone through or are going through the FACT program now. I was accepted and start in May...I've been in touch with a handful of applicants/acceptees on a FACT '08 forum on here as well. My main concern at the moment is about housing. Do a lot of FACT students live on campus? Does anyone feel like it was easier for on (or around)-campus students to commute from class to clinicals, etc? Which housing options do most students choose? After speaking with a housing administrator on the phone, she made it sound like most FACT students are requesting studio or 1 and 2 BR apartments --- which I cannot afford. I am more interested in the economical options, which she warned they might not be able to place me! I have the option of commuting from south jersey but I'd like to live on/near campus if I can stay under a certain $$/month. Is this housing person I talked to correct? Does anyone know FACT students that lived in the 3 and 4 person apts or even the dorm-style housing? I know, this sounds like a pretty insignificant concern... it's not about the nature of the coursework, or scholarships, or the profession. But I'm really trying to plan this out. Any information would be helpful!

congrats on getting accepted. it's a good program and it goes by so fast. as far as living on/off campus, a lot of people commute from south jersey. the speed line is really convenient and the station is right next to the building where our classes are held. after the first few weeks, classes are only 2 days/week and clinicals are 2 or 3 (and not all of them are in the city.) there's no doubt that it is convenient to live in the city but commuting isn't that bad. (i live 45 minutes away)

hope that helps.

Thanks for the info!! I'll definitely consider commuting as an option again... While I'm in contact here, do you have any other general advice about the program? I've pretty much gotten all my specific questions answered, but I'm aching to know what the program is like day-in and day-out. I know it's intense, but was it exciting and enjoyable, or stressful? Ahh, so many things I guess I won't actually know till I start... Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks again for responding!

Hey I'm in the program right now and am really enjoying it. The faculty as a whole is great to deal with and actually care. About being in the FACT program this is how it went down for me. First month you are doing an incredible amount of lab work prepping for clinicals and taking an health assessment class and professional nursing class. The clinical reading assignments they give you is very unrealistic but you don't get tested on this so my advice is skim through the main parts so you kind of know what you are doing in clinical. After a month in you get slammed with 3 more courses and this is where you want to spend your time studying. At this time you are starting clinicals too at 24 hours per week so that gets some getting use to also. However, the teachers for these 3 courses are awesome and will help you out. You have to put in your work though.

My main tips for semester 1. Month 1 spend time on health assessment and don't worry too much on clinical readings just go over the main points, I would be prepping in advance for the three courses (Patho, Pharm and Nursing Managment) before they start.

Jefferson is all about the powerpoints and I would get the powerpoint information down pat and use the book to supplement your studies for patho, pharm and Nursing Management.

If you focus on powerpoints alone for health assessment you can get a B, but if you want the A in this class you must read in some detail.

Studying for nursing managment was the toughest for me because this class teaches you how to think like a nurse so it's not just memorization. My advice is you are required to have a Saunders NCLEX review book and Jefferson carries NCLEX 3500. Do these questions and pay attention to the rationale.

Other than that that is semester 1. You picked a great program. Yes it is busy but it is also doable.

+ Add a Comment