Endorsing/Transferring US license to PR

by CalTx CalTx (New) New

Posting this for those who are interested.

There is some information already available on those looking to transfer their licenses to the states, with some states like Florida having a fairly straightfoward method for doing so. For those looking to do the opposite, that information is not so easily found.

I had to ask a few different persons at different institutions to find out what the process is for endorsing a non-PR -lincense to PR. The authority that handles these matters is the Junta Examinadora de Enfermería de Puerto Rico which can be reached via: (787) 765-2929. Though many people have issues with getting anyone to answer calls. I'm not sure on the forum's policy regarding displaying professional boards contact information so I won't post the email/name of whom I contacted, but contacting the health department's main email listed on their home page: contactus@salud.pr.gov about your request should prompt a response within a few days.

The process is actually pretty similar to endorsing between states, there is a form that must be filled out and a fee to be paid. However, the form must be accompanied with several supplemental documents and in some places signed by officials of different institutions.


1. Print or type all information on this form, except signatures.

2. Applicant’s address should be as precise as possible, so as to assure mail delivery.

3. The certification of the educational program should be completed by the Schools, Institution Director or by the person authorized thereby.

4. The official seal of the school or control institution must be included in the space provided for said purpose.

5. The legal certification or affidavit should be executed by an attorney who is a Public Notary or by a judge. The legal certification shall be subscribed after all the other information has been written on this document and the required photograph has been attached hereto. ***If affidavit were to be completed in the U.S. it must be submitted with a County Clerk state certification. ***

6. The photograph shall be a professional 2’’x 2’’ in size, signed in ink by the applicant facing front, taking care that the face is not marked by any letter. 7. The persons appearing as references shall sign personally on the corresponding line. 8. These documents shall be sent by applicant or by the Nursing School / Institution directly to the Puerto Rico Board of Nurse Examiners: a. Copy of high school diploma or certification. b. High school official transcripts (Only Practical Nurse). c. If high school studies were taken in a foreign country you must submit the transcript to the Department of Education of P.R. for a certification of grade equivalence. (Transcripts must be sent directly to the Board by the school; transcripts must explain their academic evaluation system.) d. Copy of nursing diploma. e. Copy of nursing license. f. Official nursing transcripts (transcripts must be sent directly to the Board by the School or Institution; transcripts must explain their academic evaluation system, the content and level of each course and the number of hours). g. Certificate of no criminal record from the Puerto Rico Police Department and from the place of residence during the last five years.

Completing all of these requirements can be pretty lengthy, but at least for those already licensed there is no need to sit for another exam once the Junta has approved everything.



Thank you for this information!

Edited by Ashley Smith



1 Post

Thank you for posting this, super helpful! There is incomplete information about this on the web.