Nursing Practice in UAE

  1. In applying for any of the following licenses for nursing practice in UAE, one should strictly follow the procedure implemented by the three agencies. Some hospitals do require only one of these, so you should choose which among the three should be your top priority. If you intend to test your luck by going there without any employers, the need of processing the following documents should be done:

    1) PRC License and Certificate

    As long as you pass the Philippine NLE, there is not much of a problem. All you need to do is after you get your license and board certificate, have it authenticated at Professional Regulations Commission (PRC), whichever branch you get your license. You need to photocopy each document, get it metered at the documentary stamp window for 21PhP each document (near the gate of PRC if in Manila, I just don't know in other provinces) and give it to authentication window (1st Floor Main Bldg - the place where you get your license and board certificate). You need to pay 75PhP for each document at the cashier and give it back to the authentication window wherein you can get your claim stub for DFA. You will wait for 2 weeks and you can claim the two documents for 100PhP each "red ribbon" (DFA authentication)

    2) Transcript of Records (TOR) and Diploma from your College of Nursing

    Have your Diploma and TOR photocopied and give it to your Registrar of your Nursing school. You need to pay necessary amount for the processing of your documents. You will get a stub for claims at DFA or you will go to Commission of Higher Education (CHED) and have it authenticated.
    I just don't know with other colleges/universities if they automatically submit the copies of TOP and Diploma directly to CHED. If you will get it from CHED, you have to bring it to DFA and have it authenticated. You need to come as early as you can (like 6-7am) to be first in line (since it opens at around 8am), you may either get a stub or pick it up right away. (REMEMBER, 100PhP for each document authenticated)

    3) Higher Seconday Certificate (Highschool Diploma)

    If your Diploma is written in Filipino, have it transcribed through your Highschool Registrar and pay the necessary fees. It is also advisable for you to get your Highschool F-137 (TOR) because it is required for Dep Ed authentication. You also need to have at least three Certified True Copies of every highschool documents, have it drysealed and labeled as CERTIFIED TRUE COPY at your Highschool Registrar. After getting your Highschool credentials, go to your respective Department of Education (Dep Ed) Division office and have the certificate (if from QC, the Division Office is at San Francisco High School, just at the back of SM North Edsa Annex Bldg.) You need to pass the following to the Dep Ed Division Office: HS TOR and Diploma. Please bring the original copies. The certification is for FREE. After getting the certification, go to your Dep Ed Regional Office (if from NCR, the office is located at the back of SM North Edsa Main Bldg,) You need to bring the remaining two pairs of the certified copies of highschool documents, and the originals (NOTE: Don't give the original copies to them). In addition, you need to give two copies of certification from the Dep Ed Division Office. You need to have 2 pieces of colored passport size pictures, in formal attire, and in white background. You also need to pay some amount for the documentary stamp. Afterwhich you may proceed to DFA and have it authenticated.

    4) Copy of the experience certificates from previous employers

    I had my employment certificate notarized and certified at the local Regional Trial Court (RTC) where I once worked in the same city, and have it authenticated at DFA (also needs multiple copies for the local attorney and RTC)

    5) Have your Nursing TOR and Diploma attested at the UAE Embassy.

    You can send the two documents at any WWW Express outlet and you need to pay approximately 2,200PhP for each document (4,400PhP for the two) or, you can go to their Embassy, pay approximately 1,800PhP for each document and have your energy drained.

    Please don't forget to get your own passport

    There are three Licenses for UAE, but it is really optional to get all of them.

    1) Ministry of Health (MOH) - standard license for UAE
    2) Department of Health (DOH) - mainly required for Dubai
    3) Health Authority - Abu Dhabi (HAAD) - Abu Dhabi licensing

    ***DOH and HAAD should be taken if you have enough hospital experience (usually not less than 2 years). Exempted to the rule for DOH are newly nursing graduates - no more than 3 years***

    The requirements for each licensure is almost the same, but differs in the number of working hours and exemptions. Usually, your future employers will be the ones to help you get your license. The Government Agencies really needed the employers to be a part of the licensing maybe beacuse to avoid overcrowding of nurse, just like in the Philippines. You may want to read their respective websites about some of the exemptions to unexperienced newly grads, or finishing your Masters Degree in Nursing will exempt you from taking the nursing examination.

    I got the copy of the following requirements for application in the three examinations:

    For DOH:

    1. Fill Medical Facility Inspection From in case of additional specialty
    2. Fill Application Form (Health Professionals Licensure Form) by the facility, and Application For Licensure by the candidate.
    3. Copies of qualifications attested by UAE Embassy
    4. Recent good standing certificate from the medical council.
    5. Copies of experience certificates
    6. List of surgeries performed by the candidate (for Surgeon Doctors Only)
    7. Passport copy
    8. One Color photograph
    9. Application & Assessment Fee
    10. License Fee

    *** Exemption is applicable to those who finished Masteral Degree in Nursing ***

    For MOH:

    1) Academic achievement: All Expatriate applicants who graduated from foreign nursing programs must have graduated with a minimal attainment of sixty percent (60%) of total marks.Applicant should have at least a three (3) year diploma in nursing with a minimal attainment of sixty percent (60%) of total marks and after a twelve (12) years secondary school education.
    2) Nursing experience: All Expatriate applicants must have had at least one thousand (1000) hours experience within the three (3) years prior to applying for registration in the UAE.
    3) The originals or certified copies of each of the following:
    a. Passport including a valid UAE residence visa or other proof of legal stay in the UAE.
    b. Statutory evidence of any name change (marriage license, other legal document).
    c. School leaving Certificate (Highest level attained before entry to nursing or midwifery Education).
    d. Nursing or Midwifery Education Certificate / Diploma / Degree- (length of education and academic achievement must be verified by means of official transcript if not clearly specified on Certificate / Diploma / Degree).
    e. Nursing/Midwifery Licensure or Registration showing current validity

    Required Documents attached to the application form are as followw:

    1.Copy of the Degree/diploma/certificate course and should be submitted in either Arabic or English language (attested from the UAE Embassy).
    2.Copy of the nursing registration certificate issued by the nursing Board/council from the country of origin.
    3.Copy of Higher Secondary/ Secondary Certificate or its equivalent or pre-nursing educational certificate.
    4.Transcript of your nursing education.
    5.Copy of the experience certificates from previous employers.
    6.Passport copy.
    7.One colored photograph.
    8.Application and assessment fees.

    For HAAD:

    To apply for licensure as a 'Nurse/Midwife' to work in the private sector in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi you are required to demonstrate the following:
    1) You have successfully completed 'secondary school' and have been awarded a HighSchool Certificate.
    2) You have successfully completed a minimum Qualification of: Registered Nurse (RN): Not less than three years of nursing education. (Holders of Program comprising 2 years nursing plus 1 year midwifery qualify as Practical Nurse)
    3) Transcript of professional training - must include theory and clinical hours
    4) Practicing Professional License - valid and current from home country
    5) A certificate of 'Good Standing'/ Registration or License from each country where you have been employed. If you worked in a country and for a government facility where you practiced on your 'home license' (e.g. Saudi Arabia) please ensure to submit certificate of employment in place of certificate of 'good standing'
    6) Relevant Experience to the position:
    o Experience attached must cover the minimum requirements of the PQR *
    o Official Certificate of Service (COS) from an authorized person at health facility (must be from Human Resources / Medical Director)
    o COS must specify the position held and areas of practice.
    o COS must specify the employment period/duration
    o All COS must be clear and readable.
    o Date from (dd/mm/yyyy ) to (dd/mm/yyyy).
    o Experience must be in a substantive post (Volunteer work and training is not acceptable)
    7) UAE MOH Evaluation/Licensure if applicable
    8) You have gained relevant experience as follows: A Registered Nurse for a minimum of two years fulltime in an acute care facility with at least one year in Basic Medical and Surgical Nursing.

    NOTE: Please try to browse for their websites for additional information. You can use your search engine and key-in MOH UAE, DOH UAE or HAAD. Hope this mini info helps. If I miss something vital, please mention it through the Reply Box. Thank you.
  2. Visit kyckerz profile page

    About kyckerz

    Joined: Sep '08; Posts: 136; Likes: 28
    School Nurse/ SpEd Educator; from PH
    Specialty: 1 year(s) of experience in School Nursing / Education


  3. by   kyckerz
    i missed out this part for moh
    verification of nursing education
    reference inquiry form
    verification of license/registration form

    have it authenticated in each respective institution (school, work and prc)
  4. by   chengzz_1110
    is it possible to take the DOH exam without any employer? cause im planning to go to dubai next year through fathers visa i have completed all the requirements and i hope i can take the exam by next year..
  5. by   aquagirl_0129
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]i would like to ask if it is true that DOH will require only 6 months of experience and MOH-2 years? my sis is currently in sharjah and wants me to go there and take the licensure exam after my 6 months of experience here in the philippines. would it be possible to find a job there?

  6. by   Lorelle
    Hey thanks it was really informative... one quick question though... can u tell me where i can get model papers for the doh exam and also is it just a written exam or oral as well...if so are both held on the same day? And hey thanks... ur stuff really helped a lot...
  7. by   dragon17
    is it possible to acquire a uae license if i only have 6 months experience? what are my other options if i still opt to go to abu dhabi with this credential? thank you!
  8. by   sirSwashbuckler
    Hello kyckerz.... I'm interested on your post..but i want to inquire if my 1 year experience as a nurse volunteer, not as a staff nurse, would be enough to apply for the said licensure in UAE?? Your response is highly valuable..thanks..
  9. by   msc19
    @dragon, continue to 2 yrs exp for licensing..
  10. by   valium_RN,RM
    I already have 2 years of Staff Nurse (Casual) experience. Does it count? I would like to take HAAD, however my concern is about licensing. It's just a waste of time and money if after taking the exam and pass, they wont allow me to be licensed just because of my job status as casual. So, anybody here who went through the process of getting a license similar to my situation? Thanks!
  11. by   msc19
    as long your coe indicates u r staff nurse in the particular hospital..What do you mean by casual?
  12. by   valium_RN,RM
    Thanks for the reply MSC. My COE indicates my position which is Casual Staff Nurse, this status is a contractual position, a paid work experience. I have worked for more than 2 years at a 150 bed capacity, level III health facility. This is the reason why up to now I am still hesitant to take the exam since I am not sure if the licensing authority of abu dhabi would allow it.
  13. by   dragon17
    what happens if i take the HAAD exam, pass it, but have inadequate experience (only 1 year)?

    will some hospitals in uae still accept me even as an nurse aid?

    then after 1 year of experience as an nurse aid, will they credit that and allow me to have a license and practice as a nurse?
  14. by   msc19
    It is better to continue ur practice til u reach 2 yrs in order to have license to work me, after 2 yrs exp, it will be all worth for valium: You can ask your hr if possible to change your coe to staff nurse only, i dont think they recognize casual there..good luck