hi, I guess I got incredibly lucky in that I got into UW on the first try, although I was originally on the waitlist within days I got a "regular" spot. I decided to go to another school instead however it was nice to have gotten into UW SON.
I'm not really sure what gets you into UW, I can only list my own efforts here:
1. I did hear that you need LOTS of volunteer hours and not just in a hospital or medical setting. I did community service volunteering on top of hospitals
2. Diversity? Well from what I gather it only "helps" you if you're from an UNDERREPRESENTED group, which from some hints I gathered were Native American, Hispanic, and maybe African American?
3. My GPA was 3.8+ I think that was science only. Higher for all prereq.s
4. I didn't practice the essay (although that's a great idea!). I found this rounds questions to be kinda hard to answer if you weren't in some healthcare position before, just my personal opinion.
5. Recommendations - boy those were long questions weren't they? I had to think carefully about the RN to ask, because they will take lots of time to answer in any detail. Might not want to ask somebody who's always too busy
6. Get your CNA or EMT, some type of certification in healthcare.
7. Have a back up plan, apply to other schools