Is Providence Hospital still union free?Register Today!
- by CASTLEGATES Nov 3, '09When I worked there, they canned 3 nurses for talk of a union followed with a personal visit by the ceo to can anyone talking of unions. This was many years ago.
Have they succeeded at infiltrating Providence yet?
- Nov 7, '09 by malenurzThe only hospital in DC that has a union is Washington Hospital Center. Providence definitely does NOT have a union. But, given the poor state of their facilities, the worst pay in the district, and many, many other shortcomings, they probably deserve a union more than any other hospital.
- Nov 7, '09 by CASTLEGATESi worked for whc but opted out of the union and they still took money out of my paycheck. I thought this isn't fair!
- Nov 7, '09 by malenurzI've always thought it was funny when people complained about paying union dues, but, they never seemed to complain when their hourly rate was better than in the non-union hospitals.
You should have opted into the union, then at least you could have written it off your taxes.
- Nov 9, '09 by OriolesMagicYou can't opt out of the union in a union facility. Its a condition of employment. You were just a non participating member. I was at WHC, and the union dues were negligable. $40/month or something similar. WHC used to be a great hospital from talking to people that have been there forever, but all they care about is being cheap (not frugal). 1/2 the nurses there are agency/travel--being paid $100+/hr. I'm not saying the nurses make that much, but the agency is paid that much or more and then pays the nurses.
- Nov 14, '09 by CASTLEGATESnot true; you can opt out of a union in any union facility
- Nov 14, '09 by malenurzyou may be able to opt out, but you still have to pay dues, even if you choose not to be part of the union.
- Nov 14, '09 by lsm332you don't have to pay union dues, but $ still comes out of your paycheck for something else if you don't (i forget what exactly). also, WHC is NOT the only hospital in DC with a union; CNMC is unionized, too.