UTA Spring 2012 - Page 3Register Today!
- May 18, '11 by tejas03Not at this time...my husband works M-F 8-6:30ish and our schedule is really hectic with the 3 boys. The online portion would allow me to be more flexible with my studies (such as; pjs at 1am...lol) and then I could find childcare for the 2 clinical days if needed. We can not afford to have them in for 4 days at this time. I am even praying that my clinicals would be on Sat & Sun (I have talked to a couple students who have Sat/Sun clinicals now and that's right up my alley). I feel really comfortable with the online format and with my LVN background (11 yrs) I feel comfortable with processing the information. I may have to reevaluate the on campus program in the next year if I can't get accepted to AP BSN program. I would have 2 of the 3 in school M-F full time and that would help a lot! Best of luck!
- May 18, '11 by alininoAwwww, I see. Gotcha! Yeah, my children are older and my parents, who both stay at home, watch my youngest rugrat. It does help when they are in school. I missed that about you being a LVN. So, I definitely can see where the AP route really suites you better. Sorr, my mind is cluttered at the moment. I am in the midst of a less than 3-week Comp II class. Retaking your courses would be your best bet then. I had to do that as well. Your hard work will eventually pay off!
- May 18, '11 by tejas03Oh I would love to have parents close to us but unfortunately all my family is over 3 hours away...I feel like my kids miss out on that grandparent influence due to not living close. My husband and I have talked about moving closer after I finish so I'm excited about that possibility. There are no universities within an hr & half drive or we would have already probably...you could say they are off in the woods somewhat..lol My husband has always lived in the metroplex so that would be a huge change...haha!!
Yes, I'm retaking Micro (June 20th) and A&P2 (Aug 22) so I can pull my science GPA to a 4 (3.5 now) and praying that will help, but again any classes taken after application deadline do not factor in to this Spring application (per my advisor so not sure if you all had heard the same thing??) She just said these classes now will factor in for my Fall 2012 application.
I'm also taking Path now and will take Pharm in Sept. So my plan is to just continue on and see what happens.
- May 18, '11 by McKinneyMom@tejas,
I so relate with you on not being able to go to an on-campus program in this life phase with three little ones at home.
I calculated my GPA with the classes I have taken than count in their calculation and it's 3.6, with a science 4.0. I talked to my advisor and she said that the average GPA of those accepted who were not partnered was 3.8 and the average wait-listed GPA for those not partnered was 3.7.
If I don't get in for Spring 2012, I'll try to find a PRN/part time position at a partner hospital in order to be more competitive for Fall 2012. At least then I'll have finished all the pre-reqs and have a little time to work a night or weekend.
It's definitely a balancing act with family life, huh?
- May 19, '11 by shan_901@mckinneymom
how was chemistry online? i am nervous to take it and you didn't have to do a lab? i thought it required a lab hour? i am in the process of completing all of my pre req's still and cannot wait until i am able to reply! best of luck to all of you!!
- May 19, '11 by McKinneyMom@shan_901 , Chemistry was really tough online. There is a lab - you scan in your results and take pictures sometimes when you are doing the lab. It's interesting how it's set up! The professor I had is very helpful and responds right away to questions. I'm finding A&P and Micro easier online than Chem.
- May 19, '11 by BL3SS3DHello all!
I want to wish everyone the best about apply to the Spring '12 program! Reading all of your grades is a little discouraging because a lot of you have 4.0! I have an A in A&P I, B in A&P II and a B in Chem...I'm taking Micro this summer in hopes to make an A. I'm so scared and trying to stay optimistic about this whole experience but it's kind of hard!
- May 19, '11 by tejas03McKinneyMom-
Did you say you have taken A&P 2 online also? I am going to retake that one too in Aug. When you took Micro did you have to take pics and upload for the lab? Just trying to figure out what to expect when I start Micro in a couple wks?? Thx!
- May 19, '11 by McKinneyMom@BL3SSD - it's definitely nerve wracking. Hoping for the best for all of us!!
@tejas - I am in Micro now (over June 10th). I haven't had to take any pictures for this lab. There is a weekly lab assignment where you look at virtual slides (we don't use a real microscope), etc. There are lab questions and a weekly lab quiz (along with weekly lecture quizzes). We have not been assigned a "lab report" to turn in. Then there is a big lab final at the end of the class that covers each lab. Feel free to private message me for more info, etc...