Quote from keithjones
I am a pre-nursing student working on prereqs for ASN. I plan on working critical care while earning my BSN after i get my RN. I would like a comprehensive list of all the required certifications, licensures, tests, etc. I will need to get into CRNA school as well as any additional reccomendations. I live in Paducah KY and am looking at the Murray state CRNA program. I plan to do the CRNA prereq classes while doing my BSN. Thanks for your assistance.
1) The CRNA pre-reqs are your BSN.
2) You need to get the actual requirements from the schools
you will be applying to. They can tell you exactly what GPA, GRE score, etc that is required to apply. Also, some schools require that you be a CCRN (certified critical care nurse) to apply.
3) Try your best to keep your GPA competitive. Just because a school lists a minimum GPA to apply does not mean it will be anywhere near the true competitive score to stand a chance getting in (e.g. school states a min. GPA of 3.2 to apply but in actually the true average GPA may be 3.6). Most schools can give you a actual average GPA of their current students to give you a more realistic idea.
4) BLS, ACLS, PALS are all required to apply.
5) If the CCRN is required by the school you apply to keep two things in mind: you will need to work approximately 1 year full-time in ICU before you qualify to sit for the certification; some schools will ask for your CCRN score
6) GRE scores can be highly competitive, average minimal score I've seen is 1100. Again find out from the schools you will be applying to.
7) Lastly, know that school is very expensive & it is difficult to work during the program. You will need to have all your finances in order, have a good credit score to obtain necessary loans. For example, after my federal loans I still had to take private loans for a additional $14,000 for the first year alone to cover tuition. That didn't even include cost of living expenses which some students need to borrow to afford to live during school.
So, plan, plan, plan. Research like crazy. And good luck....