Anyone attending Kaplan or Walden University? - Page 2Register Today!
- Jul 10, '12 by UVA Grad NursingQuote from finallydoingitThis is a definitely a true statement for nearly all of the online programs. This is not the case with many of the 'red-brick' campus-based programs that have established ties in their cities/states. For example, my University only admits as many students each year as we have set clinical spaces. We feel that is places a student at a disadvantage to locate and negotiate their own clinical contracts.It is rare for any of the programs to find the preceptor for the student.
For example we have 22 regular FNP and 8 PNP preceptors, and so we seek to enroll that many new students per year.
In my area of Virginia, securing your own NP placement is tough. The local MD and OD schools pay their primary care preceptors, and many smaller primary care practices appreciate the extra stream of cash. I've known NP students in distance-learning programs to pay up to $25 per clockhour out-of-pocket to their clinical preceptor (turning precepting into a billable charge).
- Jul 11, '12 by LexingtonI am considering applying to Walden. I can't find any requirements on GPA or GRE. Am I overlooking them? Was it difficult to get into the program?
- Aug 11, '12 by tadahh99I too am starting at Walden in September.
- Aug 13, '12 by nshRNHi all, I am form California and hold a BSN from WGU. Spoke with an enrollment counselor at WaldenU, said they were accredited by CCNE, but am wondering why they are not on the approved NP list on the BRN website. Does an online school from out of state need to also be nationally certified (ANCC, AACN, AANP, PNCB, NCC) to be recognized as an approved program in CA? Anyone from WGU have problems getting accepted into Walden? Anyone get accepted without any work experience?
Thank you all in advance!
- Aug 19, '12 by tadahh99Have you decided where u will be going yet?
- Aug 19, '12 by tadahh99Wicked Red RN have you had a chance to do the orientation portion? I am still working on it and site seems choppy to me.... just wondering what others think so far. May be because I am used to a different online setup. Thanks.
- Sep 22, '12 by newyorktxRNTadahh99 ! How is the new NP program? I haven't made up my mind if I should start in Dec or march?
- Sep 22, '12 by myelinQuote from LexingtonThe reason there are no GRE or GPA requirements is because Walden is a for profit university. They have very low standards for entry. Since they do nothing to secure your clinical placements, they can enroll as many people as they want and rake in the cash. Finding your own preceptor is becoming increasingly more difficult, and it seems like every day there are more and more posts from desperate students who cannot find anyone. Since these degree mills churn out more and more students each year, the market gets glutted. In my area, graduates from these types of programs have a hard time getting hired.I am considering applying to Walden. I can't find any requirements on GPA or GRE. Am I overlooking them? Was it difficult to get into the program?
Consider where you want to practice, what the market is like for your specialty, and what schools have the best reputation.
- Sep 27, '12 by SPJJMommyHi nshRN, did you end up finding answers for your questions? I'm also interested in Walden, and I'm also from WGU (not done yet though). I spoke with an enrollment counselor at Walden, and he said they do not require work experience. Did you happen to ask if the pass/no pass grading format was a problem? I fort to ask about it...
As far as it being approved in CA, from what I understand, the CA BON only lists approved schools that are located in CA. They do not list online schools that are located out of state. But you could still attend an out-of-state online program, and when you complete it you would take a national certification exam. I'm not sure of the exact process of gaining licensure in specific state, but I know it can be done. I plan on calling the state BON to ask specifically about Walden. The counselor said they have approval from CA, but I want to find out for myself first. Good luck!