Hiring Manager Doesn't Answer My Calls

Nurses Nurse Beth

Published

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.

Dear Nurse Beth,

This is my first post. Would love to hear from you guyswhacha think.

I applied to this HCA post at a well-known Uni/Hospital. Last Thursday I got a "Dear Applicant" email & signed by a hiring manager (assumed that probably be my prospective manager if I'm successful) to invite for an interview next Thursday and an invitation for an informal visit for Friday.....tomorrow!! or this coming Monday.

On Friday in the eve (when I actually picked up the email) I replied to the email,thanking for the email & invitation & said that I would love to attend the informal visit on Monday any time after 2pm & asked (please kindly) to confirm back her best time.

Since then no reply. I was trying to ring on her direct line since Mondayeveryday, nobody picked up, managed to get thru to their general reception number yesterday. The lady on the phone said the manager's very busy & would pass on my msg.

Nothing today...

I really like this job (prospectively) esp. pay conditions & skills that I could accumulate.

Now I'm getting cold feet...

I know that I replied a bit late but still...within 24 hours time frame...I should be "resilient" "initiative" blah blah and all, but well if she's that busy why bother to mention the informal visit at all.

I'm also getting feeling that what the teamwork & communication there would like..how supportive of themanger would be. Or maybe I might not be their top candidates, or they've already got someones in mind so they didn't bother to reply?

1. What should I do in the meantime rather than waiting or showing off my "pest"ering skill?

2. Should I bother still go to the interview next week at all?

Dear Feeling Ignored by Hiring Manager,

One week is not that far away, so I would definitely go to the interview, and not call again before that.

At the interview, I would be warm and open, and find time to mention that you are so sorry, you were not able to make a connection in time for the informal visit, but so wanted to. Or something to that effect, casting no blame whatsoever.

Was this inconsiderate on the part of the manager? Possibly, and definitely last-minute, but give her the benefit of the doubt. It's more likely the manager is very busy. You really can't make any assumptions about what it means or doesn't mean, because you don't have all the facts. It's possible they consider you a strong candidate and they are disorganized and overwhelmed.

Even if you decide you are not interested in the opening, you will gain interviewing experience, which is all good.

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

nurse-beth-purple-logo.jpg

+ Add a Comment