License on Probation

Nurses Nurse Beth

Published

Specializes in Tele, ICU, Staff Development.

Dear Nurse Beth,

I am an Alabama LPN whose license is on probation. The whole experience has made me doubt myself. It is hard out there finding another position. Do you have any advice for interviews? Companies that might be willing to give me a chance.

Dear On Probation,

I'm sorry about your situation.

Landing a job can be challenging depending on your circumstances and any restrictions you may have.

Do you have an attorney to help you with the process? I recommend the American Association of Nurse Attorneys because their specialty is advocating for nurses. In the meantime, follow your probation instructions to the letter to get this behind you.

If the probation involves a clinical mistake, it may be helpful to try for a non-clinical position. Contact a nursing employment agency and see what they have to offer.

Consider volunteer work if your are able, because volunteer work is always good on your resume- and it may open up opportunities as you network with others.

In an interview (and if you are landing interviews, that is a good sign) it is important to be honest, brief and positive. "I have learned from my mistake and am looking forward to being the best nurse and employee I can be".

Everyone deserves a second chance and I hope you get one.

Related Article

When You Have a Criminal Infraction

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

attachment.php?attachmentid=24721&stc=1

+ Add a Comment