Rad Tech vs Nursing and bad SI joint?

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hello! I need some advice. I know this is not a decision anyone else can make for me but as much information I can gather, the better i'll feel when I choose.

I'm a former dental assistant (34 yo) and I've been accepted to the nursing program to start in the fall. I've completed all the health requirements and registered, etc. I just got word I got into the radiology tech program the school offers (which chances were I was not going to get in as it's a more competitive program with limited spots). I had put it out of my mind as an option, but it's back on the table.

In April, I started having lower back pain as a result of bad posture while doing lots of studying to finish up my pre-req's (nightmare AP2 teacher). After a month of PT 3x a week we've come to realize its the SI joint. I'm discharged but it's still there. It was a 9 on the scale at times and down to probably a 2 now, depending. So it's making me really nervous about the nursing choice. I'm best on my feet and I can pick up my kids no problem (40-50 lbs).

I want to refuse to let this stop me as i'm sure it will go away but there's that doubt. Nursing wasn't actually my first choice but it's always intrigued me and the more I talk to people and see the many different ways to go with it, the more I want to do it, it's exciting me. My DA job of 10 years required pretty constant critical thinking as well.

Radiology, the only downsides to me are I feel I may get bored as i did with doing root canals all day long. It's a little under the nursing salary and I just feel employment options are more limited. Sonography was actually my goal when I came back to school but again the fear of getting bored doing the same scan over and over all day in a dark room.

Please help!

+ Add a Comment