Not having much luck finding a new grad position

Nurses Career Support

Published

What's the secret? I finished school in December took the NCLEX and passed on the first try. Next step finding a job! I started applying for L&D jobs back in early April. Since many hospitals don't hire new grads I focused on positions that stated experience preferred but not required. This will be a second career for me and I'm very interested in going into L&D but have applied for nursery, postpartum and NICU just to get in the door. I haven't even gotten one response. I've been told L&D is hard to get into but also that this time of year is good for new grads to get hired. I've also been told I should start in Med-surg for at least a year. I have been working as an aid on a Med-surg floor for over a year and really don't want to do that. Does it just take awhile for hospitals to review all the applicants or should I revamp my resume so that I don't reveal that I'm an older nurse? I'm almost 40. Any feedback would be appreciated! TIA

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

You need to widen your focus. Don't limit yourself to the maternal-child units as they are some of the most popular units and the competition for those positions can be fierce. You may not want to do it, but you may have to work adult med/surg or even LTC for a while to get yourself established as a nurse before those popular jobs become available to you.

Also, you didn't say: Do you have a BSN or an ADN? In some job markets, the most popular units and most popular employers can pick between lots of applicants -- and may choose to only consider BSN's.

It sounds to me as if you are limiting your possibilities too much.

I have an ADN but am in my first class working towards my BSN. I also already have a Bachelor's in business from a good school where I graduated with honors. My clinical instructor for maternity offered to write me a letter of recommendation so I'll be including that when I apply for positions going forward. Well I guess I'll just keep applying and have a timeframe to put plan B in place. Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated!!!

I'm starting an ASN in January. I know I'm not a nurse yet, but have you considered travel nursing and then setting your preference to L&D? Also,I would ask your instructors if they have any connections to the local hospitals. Also, maybe a OBGYN Office may be good until you get your desired position. Don't give up. I'm wishing the best for you.

Specializes in Emergency Department.

I'm sorry you're not having an easy go. Firstly, don't give up on your search because there's going to be an opening with your name on it. Secondly, you don't have to "do a year of medsurg". In my personal opinion that's just a nice way of saying you have to pay your dues. Plus nurses need to realize med surg is its own speciality.

At my hospital 90% of the nurse residents get hired in the speciality of their choosing. The remaining are undecided go to an open position on any unit. Lastly if that's your true passion go for that even if it takes you a while. It took me 6 months to get my ED job but I relocated to get it. Go for what you truly want to do because when you go to work you don't want to be miserable and feel like you just have to grin and bear it. It will be much harder to absorb information in an environment that you don't even want to be in. You go be the best L&D nurse you can be! Best of luck to you!

Your story is like my story rite about now. I too graduated in December and passed the NCLEX the first try. I have been on about 8 interviews and each response has been that I am not a good fit at this particular time :(. My confidence is starting to wane and I feel I would never find a job as an RN. My Job Search is also on hold at this time as I was diagnosed with BC in January 2017 :(. Even with my diagnosis, I managed to study for the exam and set aside time to apply for jobs. Recently, I have had mastectomy and reconstruction and will be going for 6 months of chemo once my wounds are completely healed. So I will not start my job search again until Spring 2018 and I pray I find something then. During my stay at the hospital, one of my nurses told me that my experience as a patient will help me to get a job as an RN. I can see how my health situation could help me answer Qs such as why do you wanna be a nurse and I can then share my story. There's still light at the end of the tunnel :).

+ Add a Comment