NOT a new grad applying to ICU :-P

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hi Friends! Allow me to start with this is NOT a post about a new-grad trying to get into the ICU - lol. Not that there is anything wrong with new grads seeking advice, but when I searched for threads similar to my post, it was flooded with "new grad ICU" hits.

This is my first time actually posting to allnurses. I've mostly participated from afar, but I am finding myself in need of some experienced nursing advice. My husband and I will be relocating to a new state in a few months and I'm looking at applying to the hospitals there.

I'm currently working at a Level 1 Trauma Center in a surgical-trauma stepdown unit. This is my first nursing job, and I've been here for 15 months. I love the patient population and I don't really desire leaving trauma. My current career plan was to transfer to our trauma ICU when I hit 18 months, but with this unforeseen move coming up, it looks like I won't be gaining any ICU experience before we leave. Many of our patients are MVC/MCCs, GSWs, assaults and falls, and we also take lots of neuro and medical overflow. Our step-down criteria includes intubated patients & trachs, stable vents, insulin gtts, heparin gtt, we can manage one pressor, precedex/propofol/fentanyl gtts, chest tubes, drains & wound VACs, art lines, and ortho equipment like external fixation and traction. Our ratios are 3:1 and we usually have some pretty sick patients that could very well warrant being in the ICU. Most of my shifts I am charge with a patient. I feel that I am at a place where I am competent with the care of my current patient population and am ready to advance to the challenge of the trauma ICU.

I am curious about any insight you all might have to offer for an 'experienced' nurse like myself applying for an ICU position at a new hospital. Where we are moving has a Level 1 center - it's actually the only one for a large area so they are quite busy. I know experience is desired everywhere but would they consider someone like myself with a year and a half of trauma stepdown experience for their ICU? Would they keep me in the stepdown unit at their facility until I've proven myself capable of training in their ICU? These are the thoughts running through my head and I'm wondering if thats how their thoughts go during the interview/hiring process. Also, as a side note, as of now I have an ADN but will finish my BSN in August before we move. Thank you in advance for helping me sort this out!

+ Add a Comment