NEW grad wanting to travel

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hello(:

I am on track to graduate in December of this year! (so close!!) I have always wanted to travel and have been planning a trip but I am hesitant to book it because I do not want to jeopardize my chances of getting a job. I have three options

1. I could go in January for 1 month but I would prefer not to as I want to take my NCLEX before I travel

2. I could go in March after I take my NCLEX and travel for one month and come back to look for jobs

3. I could wait until May or June, but I am not sure if an employer will hire me if I plan to take a month off within the first year. Would this decrease my chances of being hired?

I am leaning towards the second option but that would put me at most likely not finding a job until May if I am lucky and that would be 6 months after graduation. Would this cause me not to get hired anywhere?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (:

Thanks!

Specializes in M/S, LTC, Corrections, PDN & drug rehab.

I would postpone your travel for now.

My ex-best friend graduated at the top of her class, passed her NCLEX on the first attempt but then took time off to have elective surgery. When she was ready to get a job no one would hire her because she had such a gap between licensure & applying for jobs.

I don't know what it's like where you live but generally this is no nursing shortage. There are plenty of new grads graduating & applying to jobs. You will be considered an "old" new grad & might have to take a job you don't want just to get experience.

+ Add a Comment