Transition into Management

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hello Everyone,

I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I am looking to transition into a management role. However, I do not have a 'formal' leadership title because of the structure of my current unit of choice. I have experience as a charge nurse, preceptor, and have spearheaded change initiatives, performance improvement projects, and am actively involved in informal leadership capacities. My unit is small and specialized with a nurse manager and two lead RNs. Therefore, leadership positions are not easily obtained unless someone leaves.

My question is to hiring managers, existing managers, or those who transitioned into management. Would you consider a candidate with a multitude of informal leadership experience? How might I augment my resume to reflect I am capable of a formal leadership role? Do you have any advice?

Thank you in advance!

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

It sounds like your resume/experience is not your biggest obstacle. It sounds like you biggest problem may be the nature of the unit on which you currently work. If there are unlikely to be opportunities on that particular unit, you'll have to look for positions on other units. You should be asking yourself, "How do I demonstrate that I would be a good choice for a leadership position on another unit?"

The answer to the "other unit" question would probably be to either work on projects that involve other units (not just your own) and/or to actually transfer to another unit. I would suggest transferring to a large, unit that would give you broad experience with a variety of patient types -- one with a large staff that would need leaders and provide you with opportunities to lead. Getting some "front line" leadership on such a unit would enhance your credentials while the successful transition would also show your ability to work on multiple types of units.

That would make you a stronger candidate the next time a leadership position became available on any unit with a similar patient population.

+ Add a Comment