Vanderbilt Grad Entry 2013 - Page 2Register Today!
- Jun 16, '12 by LetsChillI received a newsletter in the mail from Vanderbilt stating the online application for Fall 2013 opens September 15. I tried to start my online application through the link on their website but the 2012 application is the only one available until then.
- Jun 19, '12 by KoKeHey Morganw1,
Are the programs for Duke, UNC and NYU accelerated or do you have to have an RN degree first? I think that NYU's dual degree program is only open to those students who are already enrolled in the BS Nursing program.
- Jun 19, '12 by morganw1Hey!
Actually NYU has a 15 month accelerated progression ABSN-MSN. If you get accepted to the ABSN after the first semester you can apply to progress to the MSN portion. Obviously, if they have the specialty you want. Duke is ABSN as well, they also have the same option, you can apply to progress on to a master's after a certain amount of time. I have no idea when you can apply but I know there's an option for sure. UNC has TWO options, you can apply to the traditional BSN ( which i think takes 2 years) or you can apply to the ABSN which i think is 14months. All of these programs are Entry Level. I don't have an RN license and I'm applying to all three. I got all of this info from checking out the websites and looking at threads on allnurses. UNC's programs are under Second Degree seeking students. They've changed a lot since last year.
Last edit by morganw1 on Jun 19, '12 : Reason: additional information
- Jun 19, '12 by LetsChillI am a nurse already but as far as the entry level program goes at Vanderbilt, I know that the ABSN is 12 months then the specialty year (MSN) is also 12 months. I looked into Duke also for their ACNP and they are 2 years, not sure about how long the ABSN is, but for me, 12 months for an MSN program is great because that's half the living expenses, and thus less loans, than Duke. I think Duke is a hair more expensive per credit hour too. But they have better weather, and don't require the GRE if your GPA us over 3.4.
It was a no brainer for me. My wife is a stay at home mom with our 6 month old, so the faster I can get my NP done, with the least amount of loans possible, was the answer for me.
Good luck applying!
- Jun 27, '12 by josacliI'm getting my application together, taking the GRE next month. I'm preparing using the ETS free stuff and Barrons (I looked at Kaplan but reviews on Amazon were really bad). I'm applying for the ACNP program but would love to apply to the intensivist program. However, that means a move clear across the country and I'm not sure that's feasible at this point in my life. I will have to make the decision soon though.
What is everyone's background? I have worked trauma/surgical/medical/cardiac/burn ICUs, ER and am currently in a CVICU. Are most of you practicing nurses or are you new to the feild and going straight into the MSN program?
Good luck everyone,
- Jun 27, '12 by josacliI was told September 15 for 2013 as well. I'm looking into other online programs for the ACNP as well. I am married with 2 kids and uprooting everyone for my degree seems like a bit much. There are a few other online programs but most are 7+ semesters not 3 like Vandy.
- Jun 27, '12 by LetsChillI have the feeling that a lot of ppl that apply to Vandy MSN do the distance format. I am moving there because online learning has not been good to me. Plus they will set up your clinicals for you, which many students have told me is the hardest part of clinicals.
- Jul 20, '12 by hosanna3I am applying to either the Acute Care PNP or Primary PNP program this fall! I haven't taken the GRE yet and am just starting in a Peds CICU in a couple weeks. I don't think that starting the program with a year of nursing experience will hurt, I hope it confirms that going to Vandy and becoming a PNP is the right choice!
- Jul 20, '12 by wanderleaQuote from LetsChillI plan on applying to Vandy's 2013 acute care np program also, however, I won't be able to take the GRE until November so I have to wait to apply then. I'm also applying to the University of South Carolina but Vandy is my first choice. I wish I could do the intensivist program at Vandy, however, uprooting my family is not an option, and me going without them would be too difficult on everyone. Does anyone know when they let applicants know if they are accepted?Hey everyone!
This thread is for all of those out there who are planning on applying to one of Vanderbilt's MSN programs for Fall 2013. I'm starting to get my application packet together. I haven't started my interview survey questions and goal statement yet but I need to get on it. I need to take the GRE still though. Has anyone taken that? What did you get? Did you study? Harder than you thought?
Lets help each other get into their program!