Yale GEPN Applicants 2013 - page 16
Hello all! I noticed a thread had not been started for those of us applying for Fall of 2013 so I thought I would start one. How are things going for everything regarding the application process?... Read More
- 0Feb 8, '13 by feminista_siempreQuote from dmilsteindmilstein, you were right! I was so relieved to read that email she sent today! pheww.Congrats!!!MP did also say that in cases like yours they might be able to release the acceptance news early but not necessarily the financial aid info. So it's worth calling her!Good luck!
- 0Feb 12, '13 by PsychNursingGreat post!
You summed up the day very well!
I was also interviewed on 2/1.
I am not a fan of waiting, so 3/1 seems a bit far away, in all honesty.
I tend to wonder if each interviewer highlights the strengths and weaknesses in each person's specific application packet. Where you had weakness in not having hard science classes, I had weakness in not enough out-patient work - I have a reasonable amount of inpatient but very little outpatient.
My understanding from my interviewer was that the professor interviews a certain number of candidates...I believe mine was interviewing 10. Then she ranks her interviewees and then "defends" her ranking to her peers. I believe the final decision is made my committee, and she inferred that it is almost an antagonistic process where the specific profs "fight" for their favorites (I doubt there is any true antogonism since the professors all seem extremely respectful of each other, but that was the way it was described to me).
Honestly, the group of peers was pretty impressive.
I was far more confident BEFORE meeting my fellow applicants than I was AFTER I met them.
I thought your statement above ("So, I don't know if I will be accepted, but I appreciated her candid approach, her constructive feedback, and her willingness to help me prepare to succeed in this field whether I am accepted to the program or not.") was very insightful and balanced.
Best of luck!!
- 0Feb 13, '13 by kpinkertonlloydCNM hopeful here. Interviewed on 1/31. Well it sure is agony to wait. I suppose it will only get worse as the month drags on. It is very exciting not knowing what will happen, but it is so hard to wait! Does anyone else feel like a young lovestuck teen with a huge huge crush? Waiting for a word? Day dreaming all the time about your Yale program of choice? Google-ing things about the school and the program incesssantly because it is so pleasing to fantasize about being there? For me, the acceptance letter won't be enough, I am anxiously awaiting to see if I can qualify for loans and such to obtain adequate financing! The financial aid to me is making me nervous and anticipatory. It's like, maybe I will get asked out by Yale, but I can't actually date it until I can afford it !
- 0Feb 14, '13 by feminista_siempreQuote from kge9234I've been in contact with her this week regarding this issue. She is very sympathetic and had originally planned on trying to get decisions to people in our situation as soon as possible, but the storm and snow days this week threw off the schedule. She said she is pretty confident they will still meet the March 1 deadline, but not before that.Hey! did MP say around when to call regarding the release of (early) acceptance news? I'm in a similar boat, so I'd love to know early if possible!
On the bright side, if your other school is UCSF, call them. Trust me.
- 0Feb 14, '13 by mbeatonI totally know what you mean kpinkertonlloyd. The wait is killing me! I feel like I'm on pins and needles every day and the knot in my stomach just keeps growing. I keep trying to talk myself down and remember that at this point there's nothing I can do but wait, but for some reason that strategy isn't really helping...
- 0Feb 15, '13 by eec154Im in the same boat with you mbeaton and kpinkertonlloyd. I check my email nervously twice a day. Excited. But so worried I won't be admitted.
Is anyone else applying for GEPN Pediatrics? And if so, do you know any stats about numbers of applicants? While there I heard that there were around 80 applicants for Peds and 40 interviews for 18 offers and about 13 spots. But I don't know where my source got those numbers and thinking about it might help calm my nerves!
I didn't apply anywhere but Yale because there wasn't another school that looked nearly as good. My friend just got into Penn though and her facebook updates are driving me crazy! Wish I could know about my future too! The funny thing is, she didn't get offered an interview at Yale. I can't find any info on Penn though, so not sure how it compares to YSN. Does anyone else know?
Congrats to everyone who got an interview!!
- 0Feb 15, '13 by eec154Just received an amazing email from **** full of good advice for how not to be too stressed while waiting. And one thing she said was that the Peds faculty have been talking about what a tough decision it is this year and how many amazing candidates there are!Last edit by Meriwhen on Feb 15, '13 : Reason: TOS: please don't post names or identifying info of faculty/staff. Thank you.