2013 UPenn BSN/MSN Applicants - Page 7Register Today!
- Oct 20, '12 by meep05Thank you so much for all that information! So informative! UPenn is def. one of my top choices as well! I live in California and if I get an interview I would probably try to fly out there if there was a good deal!
- Oct 20, '12 by hollysfThank you so much for the comprehensive recap, bardone. It was great to meet you.
Some other random bits of information I wrote down:
-I believe the tentative dates for interviews were December 7th and December 10th, but we would be receiving an email in the near future confirming this and notifying us about which specialty is interviewed on which day.
-On November 1st we will be granted access to "Penn Portal" which will keep up updated on the status of our applications. Filomena mentioned that the portal is only 80% accurate during the first few weeks and so if your portal says you are missing transcripts then you should not contact them for a couple of weeks, as they have probably just not been uploaded into the system yet.
-All correspondance will be via email, including acceptance/rejection notifications.
-You are able to apply to the Hillman PHD in your first BSN semester instead of pursuing the MSN. F also mentioned that 40% of the Hillman students are Penn graduates.
-Filomena recommended that once you are accepted you should consider moving to Philly on/by June 1st. She said that it is nearly impossible to get little things done, like getting your cable hooked up, once the Summer session has started. You are paired up with a current accelerated student who can act as a housing resource for you, among other things. You can also utilize the off-campus housing resource center if you need assistance finding neighborhoods to look in or understanding the elements of your lease.
-You do not need a car for the BSN portion, but a car is necessary for the MSN portion--particularly if you are interested in doing clinicals in OB/Women's Health. There also have an account with City Car Share, so you could simply rent a car for single day use if you needed to. I would imagine that could get pretty expensive though.
-The only GPA they consider is your undergraduate GPA, since it is the only common element amongst all applicants.
-If you are only accepted into the ABSN program and you decide to apply to an MSN specialty in the first year, you have a 95% chance of getting into the Masters portion of the program.
-Average age of the matriculated students is between 24-26, and 10-20% of all students are male.
I think that is pretty much everything
- Oct 20, '12 by hollysfALSO, Penn has not accepted anyone from the wait list in the last three years.
- Oct 20, '12 by meep05If you do not get an interview does that usually mean you did not get accepted? I am surprised they interview 75% of the applicants that seems like a lot.
- Oct 21, '12 by hopefulnurse24Wow, awesome news! Thanks so much for the recap, guys! This has been very informative. I am very nervous now that I know that news about interviews will be out soon! Ahhh!
- Oct 21, '12 by hollysfAnaboo,If you don't get an interview then I think you're out of the applicant pool, but you can be invited to interview up until Jan. 10th or something.
- Oct 21, '12 by meep05AHHhhhh that wait is going to be killlllerrrrr
- Oct 22, '12 by kdiemThanks for additional information Holly! I'm not surprised that no one on the waitlist has been accepted....Penn is an amazing school! Let's all cross our fingers for interview emails in the coming month
- Oct 23, '12 by bardoneGot my Penn Portal login last night... another thing for me to check every time I get online!!
- Oct 24, '12 by bardoneInterview dates have been announced!
Interview Dates for the BSN/MSN & the Hillman BSN-PhD applicants:
Friday, December 7, 2012: Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, Adult Gerontology Health Clinical Nurse Specialist, Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, Neonatal Nurse Practitioner, Neonatal Clinical Nurse Specialist, Pediatric Acute/Chronic Nurse Practitioner, Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist, Pediatric Critical Care Nurse Practitioner, Pediatric Acute/Chronic Nurse Practitioner with an Oncology Concentration, Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, and the Hillman BSN- PhD Programs.
Monday, December 10, 2012: Family Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Anesthesia, Nurse Midwifery, Pediatric Primary Nurse Practitioner and Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Programs
"An email regarding the invitation to interview will be forwarded the week of November 12, 2012. If a BSN/MSN or BSN-PhD applicant is not invited to interview for the MSN or PhD, the applicant will be considered a BSN Second Degree applicant."Last edit by bardone on Oct 24, '12