just got hired at MGH as a PCA in PACU
- 1Apr 6, '11 by Erindel RN, ADN, RNHi, i just got my offer today to accept my position as a per diem pca in the preop recovery area. i am so excited. is there anyone else who works as a pca in preop/pacu? i have been volunteering there for a year so the nurses know me pretty well. i definitely believe its a good idea to get your foot in the door by volunteering... esp at a hospital you are hoping to work at later on in life when u finish nursing school. For anyone out there who works in this area, what duties do you do on a daily basis? do u ever float into the OR? thanks for reading guys!!
- 0Apr 20, '11 by psulli2010Oh congrats on getting a job at MGH! I am currently waiting on a job as an NA in the PACU at south shore hosp in Weymouth. The wait is killing me. But anyway, have you started the job yet? I also volunteered in the recovery room and loved it so I am so excited to possibly work in pacu. I hope to hear about the new job and congrats again!
- 0Apr 20, '11 by Erindel RN, ADN, RNHi psulli2010! Thanks, im excited about the job. I dont start orientation until may 2. I was a volunteer on that floor for over a year and finally a job opened up and I got hired. I love the preop pacu environment. I hope you get the job too! How long have u been a volunteer there? I would love to be cross trained in the OR, that would be fun too. Well thanks for responding. Ttyl
- 0Apr 21, '11 by psulli2010Thank You! I just found out that i got the job today !! I am BEYOND excited! I start May 2nd as well. I have actually been volunteering in recovery at a hospital on the North Shore but decided that I want to relocate closer to boston..Im going to nursing school in the fall. I totally agree that volunteering is a great way to get your foot in the door. I don't think i would've gotten interviews if i didn't have that on my resume; especially since I have zero healthcare experience. Anyway, you'll have to keep me updated on your experiences at MGH! Good luck with everything
- 0Apr 21, '11 by Erindel RN, ADN, RNCongrats on the job i am so happy for you!! I hope we both have great experiences in the pacu. I live on the northshore, were u at beverly hosp or nsmc? Both are great hospitals too. I am waitlisted for next fall for nursing. Hopefully i will get in soon. Well lets talk again in a couple of weeks and see how are orientations are going. Good luck and have fun
- 1May 7, '11 by psulli2010Erindel, how was your orientation this week? I hope everything went well for you and you are excited about your job! I had my general hospital orientation this week and start on the floor monday! I really like my hospital so far; everyone is so nice! Well, I hope to hear from you.
- 0May 7, '11 by Erindel RN, ADN, RNHi psulli, glad to hear from you! I had my orientation in boston on mon and tues then i reported to my department on thurs and fri. I have scheduled days so far till the end of june. I will b working about 2/3 days per week. I love it so far. I already knew most people except now im getting to know the OR staff. I love that atmosphere. There is so much to learn. I work next tues, wed, and thurs.
The best news i have though is im excepted to nursing school for fall 2011! I got called off the waitlist this past monday and i accepted the spot. I was so thrilled and surprised. I have school orientation next friday.
I hope you have a great orientation next week. I carry a little notepad with me to put important info in it regarding my department. I know u will do great. Let me know the end of next week how your training goes.
- 0May 11, '11 by psulli2010CONGRATS on getting into nursing school!!! That's so exciting! Where will you be going?
I love my job so far! I've had training everyday this week and I've already learned so much. The nurses are so helpful...since they know i'm a student they are willing to show me things. The Dr's are even going to let me into the OR to watch some procedures I hope your training is going well!