Well now, I don't know how valuable my input is
, but how's this for starters:
1. Introduction to the team concept of the OR, and the roles of the different team members--RN (circ, scrub), LPN, ORT, surgeon, anesthesia, X-ray, perfusionists, etc...
2. Introduction to sterile technique-opening and maintaining a sterile field, appropriate sterilization techniques for different items-flashing, steris, etc.
3. How to focus on the patient, and individualize care as much as is possible in the "hurry, hurry, rush, rush, faster, faster" environment of the OR.
4. If time allows, exposure to all specialities - ortho, general, GYN, GU, Eyes, etc...
5. Positioning and skin care
6. Patient safety - positioning, electrosurgery, lasers, etc.
7. Infection control issues--CJD, HIV, MRSA, and so forth...
8. And of course, our "bible" the AORN Standards and Recommended Practices.
I'm sure other OR nurses out there will have more and better ideas. Lucy, best of luck with your project!