University of Oklahoma ABSN Summer 2012 - Page 2Register Today!
- Feb 25, '12 by OURN2013Well, I suppose if you look at the glass half full, if and God-willing we get in, that's less time to wait for nursing school to begin. If the wait is making you more anxious, you can do what I'm doing; ignore the wait by digging into some pharmacology/med-surg books and learn what you can. It's going to be a long 14 months. CC10479, I've applied to OU Tulsa Campus. Graduated from Oklahoma State with a B.S. in Accounting and decided my wife's nursing career was way more fun, fulfilling, and interesting. What did you major in?
- Feb 27, '12 by CC10479I just received my acceptance to the accelerated ADN program at OCCC. Seems like it has taken me so long to get to this point--can't wait to hear what OU says! I'd rather do an accelerated BSN at OU, but the ADN program I was accepted to has a great reputation so either way I'm looking forward to starting.
My first bachelor's was in English (2002), and after I was cured from wanting to pursue a career as an attorney, I slowly started taking the pre-req's for a BSN program. I'm working as a nursing assistant at one of the hospitals in Oklahoma City, and the experience is phenominal. I was waitlisted last year for the nursing program at OU, and I am SO thankful I did not get in because working as an aide has given me an additional perspective on the day to day role of a nurse. It's also been great for me to observe the hospital staff from a non-patient perspective. I have a heart disease, have had open heart, heart attacks, and have an AICD. All of my experiences in the hospital as a patient have been great, but it's interesting to observe how the staff operates. I'm still not sure what I want to do as far as long term goes (thinking CRNA, but who isn't these days :-). Time will tell, and I'll find my niche.
Best of luck to everyone waiting on the letters from OU--hopefully they will go out this week!
- Feb 29, '12 by TiffTWell, I received an update today. It appears the admission letters are suppose to go out next week. This is alot later than last year, hopefully we will hear good news!
- Mar 2, '12 by OUabsn12Thank you for the update TiffT! Either you were able to talk to someone more knowledgeable than the person I talked to last week, or they have made some progress since last week; hopefully it's the progress, because I feel better knowing that they are getting things moving now.
The thing that worries me about it taking so much longer to get letters out this year, is there is no big reason that we know of (like last year's huge snow storm) holding the decision making process up. It makes me wonder if there were just a lot more applicants this year or maybe an abnormally large amount of well qualified applicants, therefore making the decisions harder. Hopefully I'm wrong, but these are the ideas that keep running through my head.
For those of you that are trying to make major life decisions like DrNurseBSNDNP, I don't know if calendars & dates will help you in the mean time while we are waiting for letters; but I was finally able to find the Academic Calendar for this summer & I know it has helped me figure out important things I was trying to plan for late May. I posted the link to the Orientation information page a while ago, so I got some good info from that; but the class start date they gave was only tentative. I tried looking for the Academic Calendar, but the link to it on the Admissions page was broken for a long time. It's finally working now, so here is the calendar with the start date set at Monday June 4th:
OUHSC Office of Admissions and Records
I know it helped me knowing the dates for everything if I do end up getting in, that way I can at least make my plans; and if I don't get in then the dates wouldn't interfere with the plans anyway. Hopefully this helps someone else too.
Good luck everyone! Hopefully we will be hearing good news soon!Last edit by OUabsn12 on Mar 2, '12
- Mar 3, '12 by pedioncodreamsI have also applied for the absn in both okc and tulsa. I have been checking my application status obsessively since I submitted my application and just check again today only to find that the applications that were previously listed for the absn at both okc and tulsa are now not showing up. this is scaring me to DEATH due to a previous poster's experience last year of the application disappearing when she was rejected. has anyone else experienced this? is anyone else's still showing?!!?
thanks and good luck to everyone!
- Mar 4, '12 by CC10479I'm so sorry for freaking you out about that from last year! I hope it's not the case this year! But if anyone does not get accepted this year, my advice would be to get a job at one of the hospitals in the area as an aide. (I'm partial to Baptist, but just because I work there--I've heard great things from other hospitals!) I'm SO thankful I was rejected last year because the floor experience you get as an aide will make nursing school much less scary. And if I had been able to start working as an aide sooner, Baptist would have paid for me to become an AUA after six months and then I would be able to d/c foley's, draw blood, etc. And if you're an AUA it's my understanding that you get checked off on some of the first semester clinicals earlier and get to do more in clinicals. The other good thing is that Baptist is going to pay for the majority of my schooling AND guarantee's me a job after nursing school--really can't beat that!
Also I don't know how many of you have heard about the accelerated ADN at Oklahoma City Community College. It starts in June, but they graduate in March of 2013. Obviously you'll still need to do the RN-BSN if you want to go further with your nursing, but it's a phenominal program and actually has a higher NCLEX pass rate than OU. The application for OCCC was due the last week in January, and they let us know our acceptance status TWO weeks ago--I think OU should take some pointers from them. :-)
But, I sincerely hope we all hear great news tomorrow!
- Mar 5, '12 by DrNurseBSNDNPpedioncodreams, I would not read too much into it, honestly. But to answer your question, the two applications I have are still listed on my application status page (and I did not meet the prerequisites for one application, I just sent it in anyway). Surely we will all know the results this week.Last edit by DrNurseBSNDNP on Mar 5, '12
- Mar 5, '12 by CC10479Here's an email I just received from the OU advisor, "I just checked with your Admissions Coordinator. She said the letters should leave campus tomorrow. They are inputting decisions today."
I think the operative word in this email is "SHOULD."
Hopefully we will all know by the end of the week as many of us need to make life/career decisions.