Women's Health and Midwifery Women's Health and Midwifery | allnurses

LEGAL NOTICE TO THE FOLLOWING ALLNURSES SUBSCRIBERS: Pixie.RN, JustBeachyNurse, monkeyhq, duskyjewel, and LadyFree28. An Order has been issued by the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota that affects you in the case EAST COAST TEST PREP LLC v. ALLNURSES.COM, INC. Click here for more information

Women's Health and Midwifery

  1. 0 Hello there,

    I joined this forum because I have had a burning question about the path to becoming a midwife. I am currently a nursing student. I will have my BA next May. After that I plan on working in L&D for a year, doing travel nursing for a while, then applying for grad school. I am not sure how to go about being a nurse practitioner midwife. Or if that is even the proper title? Someone told me that I would have to become a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner and specialize in midwifery. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  2. 3 Comments

  3. Visit  queenanneslace profile page
    #1 0
    You might get more information looking through the boards for certified nurse-midwives: Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNM)

    Also the American College of Nurse-Midwives is another place to look: American College of Nurse-Midwives

    Kind of a complicated question - Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) is the credential. And they may be licensed as advanced practice nurses or as nurse practitioners or as midwives... depends on the state. Just a technicality there.

    You don't have to become a women's health nurse practitioner to become a nurse-midwife. There's quite a bit of overlap (as I understand it) in the training of the two specialties.

    I like the Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health - Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health - Wiley Online Library
    I've been a subscriber for years - great way to learn more about the profession.
  4. Visit  LisaSN profile page
    #2 0
    Thanks for your help
  5. Visit  MsAlba profile page
    #3 0
    Thank you, too! I came here looking for the same answer