Umbilical Cord Blood GasesRegister Today!
- by HeartsOpenWide Sep 9, '12I am studying for the subspecialty exam Advanced Fetal Monitoring. Does anyone know of a good book or link on Umbilical Cord Blood Gases?Last edit by HeartsOpenWide on Sep 9, '12
- Sep 9, '12 by massbabyYes by Jeffrey Pomerance MD called Interp Umb blood gases the absolute best best
- Sep 9, '12 by HeartsOpenWideQuote from massbabyThanks, I was looking at that one but wasn't sure. Most of the reviews were from doctors. You think it is good for nurses then?Yes by Jeffrey Pomerance MD called Interp Umb blood gases the absolute best best
- Sep 10, '12 by babyktchrThere is only one or two questions on that exam. If you happen to take Lisa Miller's review course, she does and EXCELLENT job of breaking down gasses and makes it so user friendly.
- Sep 10, '12 by HeartsOpenWideQuote from babyktchrThanks! Yes, I am taking her class next month.There is only one or two questions on that exam. If you happen to take Lisa Miller's review course, she does and EXCELLENT job of breaking down gasses and makes it so user friendly.
- Sep 15, '12 by MKPRNI recently took the NCC EFM exam and passed. AWHONN Fetal Monitoring Principles and Practices was enough to help me understand what I needed.
- Sep 16, '12 by guambaI'm gonna teach you the easiest way I've ever learned---been a labor nurse for 3 years and learned this just last week. All you care about are these numbers- 10--60--12 in regards to
pH--PCo2--HCo3 respectively. If the pH is above 7.10 you don't care about the gas because it's a normal value- you can call it normal and move on with your life. If the pH is below 7.10, you move on to the next two numbers. If the pH is below 7.10 and the PCo2 is above 60, you know there is a respiratory component but you want to rule out mixed acidosis so you need to look at the HCo3. If its below 12, it's normal so you know you have respiratory acidosis. If pH is below 7.10, PCo2 is below 60 but HCo3 is above 12 what do you have? Metabolic acidosis. And finally of pH is below 7.10, PCo2 is above 60 and HCo3 is above 12, you have Mixed acidosis. I hope this helps. You can PM me if you need more clarification.