some nursing diagnoses to consider are:
- acute pain r/t chemically stimulated and altered contractions and psychological concern aeb [noted increased muscle tone, restlessness, moaning, crying, facial expressions of pain]
- deficient knowledge of procedure and outcome r/t [lack of or misinterpretation of information, inability to cognitively understand or process information] aeb [questioning, verbal expression of concern, observed behavior]
- impaired urinary elimination r/t [compression of fetus against bladder, side effects of anesthesia, hormone changes, altered fluid intake] aeb [urgency, urinary retention, changes in the amount or frequency of voiding]
- anxiety r/t current situation or unmet needs aeb [observed behavior, breathing, verbal expression of anxiety]
- risk for maternal injury r/t adverse effect or response to pitocin
the choice of any nursing diagnosis is always
dependent on the symptoms the patient has. those symptoms are things that you determined from your physical assessment and data collection from the patient's chart. the practical application of the steps in the nursing (written care plan) process is:
- nursing diagnosis
the reason for doing the assessment is to determine the nursing diagnosis.
if you have not already done so, please read the information in these threads on the nursing student forums that relate to care planning:
- health assessment resources, techniques, and forms (in nursing student assistance forum)
- desperately need help with careplans (in nursing student assistance forum)
- careplans help please! (with the r\t and aeb) (in general nursing student discussion forum)
you can also find information about ob procedures and meds at this site:
- military obstetrics & gynecology procedures. the main page for this site is here:
and includes links to the complete online textbook, laboratory tests commonly ordered in ob/gyn, medications commonly used in ob/gyn, ultrasound and x-ray used in ob/gyn, a large number of useful clinical forms you can download and print, and access to procedure videos that include a vaginal delivery, episiotomy, circumcision, pelvic exam, pap smear and much more.
please join the other nursing students at these sites:
- nursing student assistance forums
- the general nursing student discussion forum
see you on the forums! welcome to allnurses!