- 0Dec 30, '05 by RNin2007I got a new stethoscope today (Littmann) and I was wondering if any of you had a similar problem when you first got it. The tubing seems to be "sticky"...and I have wiped it twice with alcohol and it still seems sticky. Hmmmm. Any suggestions?
- 0Dec 30, '05 by VickyRN Asst. AdminI have a Littman Cardiology III and the tubing does have a slightly sticky texture to it (I have had this one for three years now and am very happy with it). This unusual feel of the tubing hasn't caused me any problems or irritation around my neck. The manufacturer states that the tubing is latex-free and is constructed of a specially-formulated polyvinyl chloride that resists chemical breakdown. They advise wiping clean with alcohol or soapy water, but do not immerse the stethoscope in any liquid or subject it to steam sterilization.
- 0Dec 31, '05 by RNin2007I knew someone would have an answer! I was starting to think that maybe it was whatever they made the tubing out of, because I tried to search the internet first...and just found that it was non-latex. Makes sense to me now. I really like this one, especially the soft sealing ear tips. Traded it in for my HP Philips Rappaport-Sprague, which was a nice stethoscope...just TOO heavy for my neck. Actually managed to sell it on e-bay for $229 (!) since they aren't made anymore. I was surprised. Again, thanks Vicki.
- 0Dec 31, '05 by WoogyWhich Littman did you buy? I have to get mine really soon. My dh bought me a Sprague and it was really heavy, plus the ear tips might as well have been made out of rocks. Ouch! It hurt just to put them in my ears! Then my ears itched! I need the soft ear tips, so I need some advice! I don't mind spending the money if it is worth it.
- 0Jan 2, '06 by RNin2007I replied to this the other day, but apparently I didn't save it, lol. Anyhow, I bought the Littmann II S.E. from allheart.com for $58 on sale. So far it is as good as the more expensive one I had, and the eartips feel SOOOOOOO much nicer. I've tested it out on the family and another thing that is nice is the nonchill rim. The main reason I wanted to switch is exactly what you are describing...the heaviness & hard eartips...ouch did they hurt!