I have an interview for a position as a staff nurse educator next week. I'm curious what qualities are valued in that position. I would also love to know if anyone has interviewed for this sort of position recently. What kind of questions should I expect?
Feb 20, '13
As I am an experienced staff educator, I have been on the "other side of the interview" many, many times. Here is a list of things I look for when interviewing a candidate.
1. Clinical competence in the field they want to teach (Credibility is half the battle in some cases)
2. Knowledge of educational processes (or at least an awareness of the basics and their importance). For example, How are you going to assess learning needs? Are you familiar with common teaching strategies? How are you going to evaluate the effectiveness of your teaching? etc. In other words, do you really "see" the work as an organized process -- just as you would "see" patient care as the implementation of the nursing process?
3. Have you really thought through what the job entails or do you just look at it as a way to get out of being a staff nurse? (Yes, I have interviewed some candidates who seem to see it only as an escape route away from patient care.)
4. Are you able to assess/articulate your own learning needs? (If you don't recognize what you need for your own professional development, how can I think you could assess the needs of others well?)
5. Do you value education? How much and what type of education have you engaged in for yourself lately? Are YOU a life-long learner?
6. What are your attitudes towards learners of all types -- students who may do clinicals in your site, new grads, orientees, experienced nurses, non-nurse staff members, etc.? Do you value all of them and are you prepared to meet the educational needs of all of those people? Or have you only considered one or two particular aspects of the job?
7. What are your attitudes regarding hospital goals and initiatives? As an educator, you will be expected to support all that stuff coming down from the "higher ups." Can you do that with a positive attitude and embrace the latest trends with smile on your face?
Just a few thoughts on the top of my head.
Feb 20, '13
Thank you, that is so helpful.
Mar 10, '13
Well, 2 interviews down and I think I have a shot. Your post really helped me to be prepared. Thanks.
Mar 10, '13
You're welcome. Good luck!
Must Read Topics