Hi everyone I'm new here and found this forumm as I was looking into nursing schools in my area. I was so relieved to find many people in situations similar to mine.
I'm a 33 yr old single mom and have 9 yr old daughter. I've been in a long term realtionship but haven't gotten married because it would kill us on taxes, we're married "in spirit". I have no college education, my family didn't have the money to send me and honestly I was too immature to realize the value of an education. Now as an adult I'm stuck in a low paying, mind numbing job as a secretary. My company is unstable and my brain is turning to mush from lack of use, the writing is on the wall...time to move on.
Two very close friends of mine are RN's and they absolutely love their jobs and find them challenging and fullfilling at the same time. Their hours are flexible so they get to be with their kids. After thinking seriously about it I've decided to go to school to become a nurse.
I have some questions that I'm hoping some of you can answer. Because I have no education, I'm starting at the bottom and would like to attend a local community college. I'm fairly confident that I can test into college level English and with some tutoring I think I can test into Algebra ii. 12 years of all-girls catholic school wasn't entirely a waste
My questions are:
1. Should I apply to more than 1 school?
2. How realistic is it to work fulltime and go to school?
3. If it is not feasible to do both, do you have any suggestions on income opp's?
4. LPN or RN? Is it advisable to start as an LPN and test for RN later?
5. How long did it take to finish school?
I have a distinct advantage with community college because my boyfriend is the manager of the bookstore (can you say FREEBIE?) The college I want to go to offers an LPN and is THE place to go for this program in my area. My concern is that I have heard the program is difficult to get into, any tips on improving my chances?
I'm sure that this board gets posts like this all the time, if there is a particular thread I should refer to to have my questions answered please let me know.
Thank you all so much.
Oct 9, '03
questions questions and more questions!!!!!
I am interested, really interested in becomming a nurse. But I am scared to death. And these are my reasons why:
1) I am 24 and have been out of highschool for quite sometime
2) I HATE math (with a passion) and am afraid that the schooling will require lots of it!
3) I was un-motivated when I was in HS and did not aquire the necesary amount of credits to graduate, so now I am going to refresher courses to take my GED, and I am scared nursing schools will look down their nose at this.
All this said... let me know what you all think. I am really serious about starting, hopefully, next fall.
Last edit by DaniGrl on Oct 13, '03