ADHD, Fibromyalgia & RLS - May I have a new brain please.Register Today!
- by CrabbyPatty Feb 19, '11I have had ADHD for as long as I can remember. For the past 3 years, after becoming a nurse, I have been struggling with:
severe sleep issues & exhaustion (no matter how many hours I sleep)
newly diagnosed PLMD (severe restless leg syndrome that happens only while you're asleep)
worsening of my ADHD (lack of focus, feeling like I'm in a fog ALL the time) - even when I take my ADHD meds
increasing pain in my legs, feet, hips, arms, hands & fingers - for several months now
extremely cold & painful hands & feet, - peridocally at night - for several months now
After seeing yet ANOTHER doctor today and still not getting any answers, I figured there MUST be a connection here somewhere!!! I think it's important to note that at various times as an adult, I've been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Epstein Barr, & Mono.
Here's an AMAZING article on how neurotransmitters (dopamine, seratonin, norepinephrine & GABA) work in the brain & how imbalances can wreak havoc on our lives by causing ADHD, Parkinsons, Sleep Issues, & Fibromyalgia (this may be the solution to my problems):
Seems low Dopamine levels might be the biggest culprit. Some people have said they find relief for their fibromyalgia when they take their ADHD meds. Must be the reason my body hurts so much at night when my ADHD meds have worn off. And if my legs are twitching all night because of the PLMD, then low Dopamine is probably the cause of this too! Oh yeah, Raynauds seems to be a neurotransmitter problem too!
Can I just trade my brain in for a new one???
Anyone else out there experiencing similar issues?
- Feb 19, '11 by coast2coastA word of caution ... that doesn't look like a very reliable source to be getting information from. If you google the author of the article, Joseph M. Carver PhD, you will find that his medical expertise apparently extends to "Signs you're dating a loser" and other gems.
- Feb 19, '11 by CrabbyPattyQuote from coast2coastyou could be right (about the other article he wrote), but the info he compiled on neurotransmitters seems to be correct. I've spent hours reading journals & medical articles that seem to say the same thing; just happened to post the above link because I was so tired I couldn't focus anymore.A word of caution ... that doesn't look like a very reliable source to be getting information from. If you google the author of the article, Joseph M. Carver PhD, you will find that his medical expertise apparently extends to "Signs you're dating a loser" and other gems.
Here's more info:
I'm hoping to find a neuropsychiatrist near me that can help me find resolution to the health issues that are controlling my ability to function.
- Feb 24, '11 by Rascal1Hi Crabbypatty,
I'm right there with you with the FM, restless leg syn., cold hands/feet And ADD !!
I also have RA, Hidradenitis, Chronic MRSA infections and a small host of other stuff.
Thanks for your post and all the links you shared, I can't wait to check it out and have
a look see. Look forward to chatting with you again at more length another time, my
Trazodone is kicking in ! night-- night ...
- Feb 24, '11 by SleepyEHave you had a sleep study done? If not, you should seriously look into both a night and day sleep study.