Can you help me answer some questions on COPD and respiratory status to better understand this disorder? Thanks!!!!!!!!
Mrs. Johnson is a 69-year-old retired waitress who has smoked since she was 12. She now has
severe emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease (COPD) and is admitted to the
nursing home where you work because she is widowed and has no family to care for her. She
uses oxygen 2 L per nasal cannula at all times.
1. What routine data should be collected to monitor Mrs. Johnson's respiratory status?
2. What are normal aging changes, in addition to her chronic lung disease, that affect Mrs.
3. You note that Mrs. Johnson's physician has documented that she has a barrel chest. What does
this mean, and what causes it?
4. Why is Mrs. Johnson on only 2 L of oxygen even though she is still sometimes short of breath?
5. You enter Mrs. Johnson's room one evening and find her with increased dyspnea. You check
her oxygen and find it is on at 2 L per minute as ordered. What questions can you ask to
further assess the severity of her problem?
6. You decide to check her oxygen saturation and find it is 85% on 2 L of oxygen. What do you
7. You page the physician. While you are waiting for her call, you sit with Mrs. Johnson and try
to calm her. What are some techniques that may help? What position will be most
effective for her?