US nurse searching to work in South Korea?Register Today!
This is a discussion on US nurse searching to work in South Korea? in International Nursing, part of World Nursing ... I'm currently a student going into my final year in the RN program, and after I'm finished with the...by supram4n Jul 2, '10I'm currently a student going into my final year in the RN program, and after I'm finished with the BSN program I would like to work in Korea. I'm currently in Oklahoma.
I've tried searching for agencies or programs that would allow me to work over there, but I've been only able to find Korean nurses whom recruit to the US.
Would anyone know or would be able to point me into the right direction?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=489129©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 8,178 Views
- Sep 5, '10 by petit_couerHey, I'm interested in the same thing and I'm also in my last year!
One of my clinical teachers last semester just got back to Canada after living in South Korea for a number of years and we've talked about how she got a nursing job there. It turns out it takes a lot of creativity and luck to do so.
She was a transport nurse and she got the job because someone had retired and was moving back to Canada. Coincidentally, she needed a job in South Korea.
Her advice to me is to gain experience (2+ years) to hone my assessment skills and to be familiar with global organizations such as the NGO and maybe get in touch with immigration.
If you come up with something let me know
- Jun 29, '11 by lovbeeI'm in the same position! I'm graduating in December with an ADN and want to find a nursing job in South Korea. I looked all over the internet but there is absolutely no information on that, only for Korean nurses wanting to work in the US or abroad. The only opportunities I've come across are if we can find a job on the military base as a civilian nurse or medical officer. I also want to look into getting further nursing education in Korea, whether it's a BSN or MSN. I was planning on getting the BSN here, right after my ADN program just to get that out of that way now. I am planning on looking into the Korea University and Seoul National University Schools of Nursing to see if they accept any international students for their programs.
Also, in case you are not aware, the nursing field in Korea is a little bit different from the US. Probably less independent nursing actions, and much more like a second-hand for the physicians, not to mention less pay and less respect. But I just like to see it as.. we'll be the pioneers to pave the way for nursing to be a better field in Korea. It can only get better, especially with Korean and the US having such good political relations, in my opinion.
I'm also going to Korea at the end of this summer and if I can do enough research ahead of time, I would like to go visit the big nursing schools and hospitals to directly talk to Human Resources, and maybe even sit in on a few nursing lectures to see what it's like. I'll gather as much information as I can and post whatever I find on here when I get back. Hope to keep in touch with you guys so we can collaborate on making this a possibility for our future!
- Jul 29, '11 by carsonyaHi,
I am also in my last year in nursing school and would like to get a job in South Korea after I graduate. Lets continue to look for as much information as possible! I have a friend who will be teaching in English there for a year starting in Sept, who can also help us gather information by talking with the locals. Hopefully we can make something happen
- Jul 29, '11 by petit_couerI just revisited this thread. Anyway, I just recently graduated from my nursing program and went to S.Korea last June and the trip made me want to pursue living in Korea even more. The culture is really interesting. I don't know if we can get a nursing job there but Im planning on learning Korean go back there every now and then, volunteer and make connections. Its really hard not speaking the language when I was there. Anyway, Goodluck to us and let's keep this thread going. Hopefully one of us will figure something out. I need a change of scene and I really miss Seoul
- Aug 13, '11 by Han ByulI am very much interested in working in south korea....I hope to travel there once i graduate to do my research on thier hiring system and maybe volunteer if they accept my offer. However, i wanted to confirm something i read online- I am black and i read online that asians aren't that welcoming of africans which kind of upsets me a little but i want to give this a shot.