Polyurethane or Silicone PICC ?

  1. I am a nurse in radiology and we have been inserting PICC lines in the xray dept for several years. Four nurses have been trained by the radiologist to insert using an over the wire technique, therefore enabling us to access smaller veins using a 21G entry needle. We also have the patient on a flouro table so that we are immediately able to see our position etc.
    We are inserting approx 40 - 50 per month and started using a polyurethane catheter (since March) with great results!
    Flow rates are higher, less friction inserting into veins, less mechanical phlebitis. We have had minimal breakage.
    Does anyone have any similar experiences?
    What flow rate do you recommend for your PICC line?
    •  
  2. 2 Comments

  3. by   CHRIS TAYLOR
    FLOW RATES ARE DETERMINED BY THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDATIONS FOR EACH PICC LINE. WE DO USE GUIDEWIRES BUT DO NOT DO IT UNDER FLOURO., THIS WOULD SEEM TO BE AN UNNECCESSARY COST IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING PROBLEM FREE INSERTIONS. WE USE A SILICONE CATHETER AND ALSO HAVE GREAT SUCCESS IN PLACEMENTS, WE AVERAGE APPROX. 60 PICC LINES PER MONTH.
  4. by   Daniel1115
    I Work on a Vascular Access Team under Interventional Radiology. We also use Micropuncture Technique ( Modified Seldinger)and have done so for about 4 years. We place 80% of our hospitals PICC's either at the bedside or clinics. The other 20% are done by IR with all there special "tools" Many insuance companies are only willing to pay if it is first attepted my PICC Nurses. Six of use have placed over 600 this year. Last year we did just over 540.We primarily use Silicon 5fr DL with minimal cath fracture. Flow rates have only been a problem with poor flushing pratice and PICC's become occluded.

close