Medicare Diagnosis Changes - Page 4Register Today!
- Sep 18 by KabinFor sure. Depending on the admission nurse, sometimes our company admits PPS 70 dementia patients. It never makes sense to me.
- Sep 19 by PamRNinTXIn Answer to Stella1688. Our MAC is Palmetto and the current LCD includes:
"ICD-9 Codes that Support Medical Necessity
290.3 SENILE DEMENTIA WITH DELIRIUM
294.21 DEMENTIA, UNSPECIFIED, WITH BEHAVIORAL DISTURBANCE
331.0 ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE
331.11 PICK'S DISEASE
331.2 SENILE DEGENERATION OF BRAIN
331.6 CORTICOBASAL DEGENERATION"
- Sep 19 by SuesquatchRNWe still admist for straight dementia. I think many folks with ES dementia are not hospice appropriate but they meet CMS criteria. What is really needed is more education, in nursing and medical school, about EOL issues and their management. Many things should be easily managed with hospice-specific intervention.
- Thanks PamRNinTX, I have often used 294.21 or 331.0 if their chart specifically says Alzheimers. It seems like Senile Degeneration of Brain is a safe bet though.
- I would be leery too! That is still quite functional and inappropriate for a dementia primary dx
- Hi SuesquatchRN...just to put this out there, there is a bill in congress requesting increased funding for hospice and palliative education to be mandatory in all accredited medical and nursing schools. It has a poor chance of passing but sometimes it helps to write your state rep in support of the bill. Here's the link of you are interested Text of H.R. 1339: Palliative Care and Hospice Education and Training Act (Introduced version) - GovTrack.us