Math for RN?Register Today!
- by new_mom2005 Mar 11, '09I am just wondering what kind of math classes would I have to take in college if I went on to become a RN?
( right now Im taking LPN)
- 2,038 Views
- Mar 11, '09 by avahnelThere are not any in my ADN program, but you have to be able to take the Math Placement test and test into Intermediate Algebra (mostly because that is the pre-req for Intro to Chem) There is still a lot of math in our program. We have to pass a dosage calcualtions exam before we are even in the program, and there are 5 questions of math on every test.
- Mar 11, '09 by LadyK,RNFor my ADN program you definitely need Intermediate level Algebra. Dosage calculations are algebraic. Here are some examples of the math problems...(the answers are at the bottom).
1. Amoxicillin is ordered 60 mg PO q 8 h. A child weighs 20 lb. The drug comes 125 mg in 5 mL. Label states 20-40 mg/kg/day in divided doses q 8h. is the dose ordered safe? Calculate how much to give.
2.Administer ferrous sulfate 200 mg PO tid. The child is 9 years old and weighs 30 kg. THe supply is a bottle of 125 mg/5 mL. Literature states safe dose for children 6-12 years old, 600 mg divided doses tid. Is the dose safe? Calculate how much to give.
3. Administer Bretylium 1 mg/min.The drug is mixed 1 g in 500 mL D5W. How many mL/hour to administer this amount?
How many hours will the IV run?
4. Heparin is ordered to infuse at 20 mL/hr. the drug is mixed 40000 units in 500 mL. How many units per hour is the patient receiving?
- You are to infuse Vancoymycin 1 gm in 250 mL over 90 minutes. Drip rate is 20 gtt/mL. How many gtts/minute?
6. Infuse KCL 40 mEq in 100 mL over 4 hours. Drip rate is 60 gtts/mL. How many gtts/minute?
- the dosage range is 181.8-363.6 mg/day. The ordered dose is 60 mg x 3 doses=180 mg/day. The dose is safe but on the low side. Administer 2.4 mL every 8 hours
2. each safe dose is 200 mg (600 mg divided by 3=200). The ordered dose is safe since the child is 9 years old. Administer 8 mL PO tid.
- 30 mL/hr. run approximately 17 hours
- 1600 units/hr
- 55.5 or 56 gtts/minute
- 25 gtts/minute
- Mar 12, '09 by lklin09We had a drug dosage class. It basically went through how to calculate drugs. My teach was not that great, so I had to teach myself the different ways to calculate the drugs. You can pick up a book on how to calculate the drugs at any book store if you want to get an idea on what you need to know. It really is basic math. I am the worst at math and it came easy for me.