Looking for a few good vibesRegister Today!
- by Galipemi May 5When I started the nursing school application process, I was given assurances that I would be able to keep my fairly well paid call centre job during school - as a part-timer instead of the current full time. Well, July 2012 rolled around and I had been accepted, paid my tuition and got told that they wouldn't be allowing anyone to go part time
So - I worked part time through the first year of school at a local mall. It's really sales oriented (which I hate) and the only saving grace is that one of my colleagues happens to be in the same program, just one year ahead of me. A great source of information and tips! The trouble is now that it's summer, I'm not getting a ton of hours, and someone's got to pay for next year's tuition.
I have been applying to unit clerk jobs since July of 2012 and nothing, not even a call back
Until April. I had an interview for a casual position at a nearby hospital just down the road. I touched base with them last week and they're having a little trouble reaching my references but are hoping to give me an answer/update early this week. Could definitely use some good luck coming my way!
Our local community health centre is also hiring some summer students for full time positions from June - August. They had over 1000 applicants and are working to weed through them all. Started me with a short telephone interview and told me that if they decided to go forward I'd hear in the next 1-2 weeks. Things are starting to look up for the first time in a while and I'd love to have some mojo head my way if anyone's got any to spare
- 340 Views
- May 5 by StephalumpThat's awesome! Here's hoping something works out for you!
I've been in the same boat...applying for jobs for months and months with no response. I'm thinking surely I must be qualified to take people's trays to their rooms if not to be a unit secretary/PCA, but apparently hospitals don't agree with me. Finally I got one job offer...one is all you need :-D
- May 5 by GalipemiIt's frustrating isn't it! I'm so glad you found the one though. If it turns out not to be the "one" one, then at least you've got the experience they all claim to be looking for in order to get hired elsewhere. Are you doing PCA or unit secretary?
- May 5 by StephalumpQuote from GalipemiIt is! Especially when you know you can do a great job but can't even get anyone to give you a second look. But you're right, all you really need is that "foot in the door." I'm actually a radiology assistant. I schedule tests, transport patients, do any positioning/care they need down there, and file images...stuff like that. My hospital has a 6 month waiting period before you can switch positions, but by that time I'll be so close to graduating I'll probably just stay there. Did you get a secretary job??It's frustrating isn't it! I'm so glad you found the one though. If it turns out not to be the "one" one, then at least you've got the experience they all claim to be looking for in order to get hired elsewhere. Are you doing PCA or unit secretary?
- May 5 by GalipemiWell, fingers crossed, but if I get the casual position, it's actually unit clerk on an inpatient psych unit. The community access centre is essentially helping case managers with data entry, phones/reception, calling in appointments that type of thing (as far as I know anyways). It is just making me so stressed to know I'm under consideration but have to wait so long for answers I don't do well with waiting.