CCNE vs NLN Accreditation

Specialties Educators

Published

I have an ADN with 8 years experience in L&D/OB, Psych and NICU. I'm currently working NICU in a hospital that is working toward magnet status and strongly encourages nurses to be at least BSN prepared. If I'll be returning to school it makes sense to me to go ahead and go for my MSN. I have a real interest in education and my most favorite aspect of nursing is the teaching component- whether it's been coaching a mom through labor, teaching patient groups on a psych unit, or teaching infant care basics to parents in NICU. I love learning patho- I think that is what keeps me interested in NICU (ALWAYS something new to learn). Also, the thought of 12 hour shifts, with sore feet and an aching back when I'm 2 years from retirement just doesn't appeal to me! So, in a nutshell, there's my reasoning for wanting to pursue an MSN as a nurse educator.

Now for my question- I'm researching schools that offer RN to MSN programs as well as the MSN Nurse Educator option. A few of the programs I'm interested in are CCNE accredited, but not NLN accredited. Is there a "gold standard" for accreditation? If you were in a position to hire a newly graduated nurse educator would you have a preference for NLN vs CCNE? From the view of a nurse educator, what are the differences, if any, between working for a CCNE vs NLN accredited program? Do you think my nursing education would differ much either way?

I really appreciate your input!

Thanks!

Last year, we had the CCNE accreditation and my Dean had stated that today, this is valued more in education than the NLN. They will go before the NLN for accreditation again next year. I am not sure I am convinced of this as NLN has always been stressed to me as not really an option, but necessary. Personally, I would want to have gone to a college with both accreditations.

Hope this helps some,

Barbara

Specializes in Gerontological, cardiac, med-surg, peds.

This website may be of value to you. It has in a bird's eye view many popular online Nursing Degree programs. As you can see, many are just CCNE accredited:

http://www.worldwidelearn.com/degrees/online-nursing-programs.htm

I once took an online graduate nursing course from the University of Southern Indiana School of Nursing (which is CCNE, not NLN accredited). The professor for this course claimed that the CCNE accreditation was more widely accepted and valued than the NLN. This is all that I know about the subject.

These links offer the best information of all:

http://www.nursingworld.org/ojin/tpc4/tpc4_2.htm

http://www.nursingworld.org/ojin/letters/t1c5.htm

http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Accreditation/

CCNE Accreditation

Officially recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a national accreditation agency, the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) is an autonomous accrediting agency contributing to the improvement of the public's health. CCNE ensures the quality and integrity of baccalaureate and graduate education programs preparing effective nurses.

CCNE serves the public interest by assessing and identifying programs that engage in effective educational practices. As a voluntary, self-regulatory process, CCNE accreditation supports and encourages continuing self-assessment by nursing education programs and the continuing growth and improvement of collegiate professional education.

Copyright © 2004 by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. All rights reserved.

http://www.kumc.edu/news/publish/printer_320.shtml

The University of Kansas Medical Center

Campus News

School of Nursing

KU School of Nursing receives CCNE accreditation

Jun 20, 2003, 16:01

KANSAS CITY, Kan. - Karen L. Miller, RN, PhD, FAAN, dean and professor at the University of Kansas School of Nursing, is proud to announce the KU School of Nursing has received official notice of accreditation by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) for the School's baccalaureate and master's degree programs for 10 years (until 2013).

"I am extremely proud of our accomplishment in receiving the maximum 10 year accreditation period," Miller said. "I want to thank the self-study committee, administrators at KUMC and KU Med, the KU School of Nursing Advisory Board, students and alumni, collaborators from our clinical education sites and everyone who participated in the review process."

The Board of Commissioners of CCNE determined that both KU School of Nursing programs met all four accreditation standards with no compliance concerns with respect to key elements for review. The four standards include 1) program quality: mission and governance, 2) program quality: institutional commitment and resources, 3) program quality: curriculum and teaching-learning practices and 4) program effectiveness: student performance and faculty accomplishments.

The accreditation process included a self-study process, a visit by an evaluation team of peers appointed by CCNE, institutional response to the team's report, review by the CCNE Board and periodic reviews by the Commission.

The CCNE is one of more than 50 educational accrediting agencies that provides an unbiased assessment of the quality of professional education programs. CCNE is an autonomous accrediting agency of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), which is dedicated to improving the public's health.

According to CCNE (http://www.aacn.nche.edu/Accreditation/index.htm), "The Commission serves the public interest by assessing and identifying programs that engage in effective educational practices in the preparation of nurses. A determination of accreditation by CCNE is an indication of confidence in the educational institution to offer a program of quality, deserving of public approbation."

The KU School of Nursing's baccalaureate and master's degree programs have been accredited until June 2003 by the National League for Nursing (NLN). Along with 244 other regional colleges and universities, the University of Kansas School of Nursing will now be accredited exclusively by CCNE, recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education to ensure the quality and integrity of baccalaureate and higher education in nursing.

© Copyright, The University of Kansas Medical Center

and yet another....

http://www.fairfield.edu/calendar/press/02/1202ccne.htm

fairfield university's school of nursing programs receive esteemed ccne accreditation

fairfield, conn. - fairfield university's school of nursing has received accreditation by the commission on collegiate nursing education for its baccalaureate and master's degree programs.

ccne is a prestigious national accrediting agency which evaluates undergraduate and graduate programs in nursing education. recognized by the u.s. secretary of education, ccne assesses and identifies programs that engage in effective educational practices in the preparation of nurses.

receiving the ccne's stamp of excellence indicates a high level of accreditation, said jeanne m. novotny, ph.d., dean of the school of nursing. "this is the gold standard in baccalaureate and graduate nursing school accreditations," she said. "more and more baccalaureate and graduate programs are considering moving toward ccne accreditation - so we're ahead of the curve."

Vicky,

Thanks so much! That was some great information. I feel much more at ease now. When I originally graduated from nursing school NLN was the only option. It's interesting how quickly nursing changes!

Thanks Again!

Richkundrn

Since I am originally from Kansas, I must say I am highly surprised that KU has chosen not to be NLN-accredited anymore. I guess my Dean may have been onto something when she claimed that last year. It would definitely be interesting research to see the effect of this change on the quality of nursing programs in five years.

Barbara

I think that many BSN and graduate programs are moving to CCNE accreditation and away from NLN. CCNE is the accrediting body of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Dual accreditation is expensive. Our faculty made the decision not to seek NLNAC accreditation when our school's accreditation period expires. We will only seek CCNE accreditation.

Graduates of NLNAC Accredited Master's Degree Nursing Programs Achieve Significantly Higher Pass Rates on Advanced Certification Examinations than the National Results Reported by ANCC

The 2002 NLNAC mean advanced certification pass rate is 94.1%.

The 2002 ANCC national pass rate inclusive of all advanced practice examinations (NP & CNS) is 82.3%.

http://www.nlnac.org/About%20NLNAC/pass_rates.htm

I think that many BSN and graduate programs are moving to CCNE accreditation and away from NLN. CCNE is the accrediting body of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. Dual accreditation is expensive. Our faculty made the decision not to seek NLNAC accreditation when our school's accreditation period expires. We will only seek CCNE accreditation.

i think many are gravitating towrd ccne accreditation. high on the agenda is an all out push to make the bsn entry level to the nursing profession. you'll see more 4 year programs moving to ccne.

Here is what I found from the US Dept. of Education:

http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg8.html#nurse

It appears that CCNE is more for Bachelor and Master's degree programs whereas NLNAC is more for diploma and associate programs.

+ Add a Comment