What are your thoughts ?Register Today!
- by german_girl11 Oct 16, '12I am a foreign educated RN and passed my NCLEX in August. Had to do an endorsement after and got my License here and currently having applications out to several hospitals.
Today I received a phone call from a Critical Care Unit (in this hospital it means The Critical Care Unit is a medical/surgical unit for patients requiring specialized neurological, pulmonary, renal, cardiovascular, or post-operative monitoring/ ICU is heart related).
After I graduated I worked at the neurological early rehabiliation unit for almost 1.5 years.
I was very happy I got a phone call for an interview cause I have been waiting on somebody to at least call.
Now that it sunk in I am a littlve nervous that I might not be ready for this kind of unit. Yes I know, its only an interview but it still concerns me.
I also never worked at a hospital here in the USA either, so everything is just really new to me. I guess I am just a little overwhelmed with everything.
But I will give my best at that interview and I guess just wait and see what happens.
Just wanted some opinions from somebody who works in such a unit.
BTW the only requirement for that job listing was: Current RN License or a pending License for new grads.
- Oct 17, '12 by german_girl11Anybody ???????????/
- Oct 18, '12 by katmarieRNFor what it's worth, I was hired in an ICU as a new grad and have been a critical care nurse for a couple years... If you are willing to learn about the pathophysiologies and become more of a critical thinker more than a task orientated nurse, you may do very well. Take advantage of your precepted time to learn, and maybe pick up a CCRN book to get the tidbits.
I've known floor nurses that have become great ICU nurses.. and a few that should have stayed on the floor.
And...well... I've floated to the floor a few times.... and I make a horrible floor nurse
- Oct 18, '12 by german_girl11Thanks for the reply. I am definitely willing to learn.
I guess, I will see next tuesday how it turns out.
- Oct 18, '12 by loriangel14Good luck.
- Oct 18, '12 by german_girl11Thank you