How does your license work if you move out of state?

  1. 0 I am an LVN in California. I am considering moving to another state but wondering how that affects my license. Do I need to apply for licensure in the state I am moving to? Do I need to take the NCLEX again? Any experience with this would be great to hear about because I am totally clueless when it comes to this.
  2. Enjoy this?

    Join thousands and get our weekly Nursing Insights newsletter with the hottest discussions, articles, and toons.

  3. Visit  ErinRose profile page

    About ErinRose

    Joined Sep '09; Posts: 7.

    2 Comments so far...

  4. Visit  Meriwhen profile page
    If you move to another state, you will need to apply for a LVN or LPN (that's what they're called outside of CA and TX) license by endorsement in that state. You do NOT need to retake the NCLEX-PN. However, you do need to meet whatever requirements that the new state has for licensure.

    You can apply for another state's license before you move there--I highly recommend you do this because then you can start searching for jobs before you move, and you can start working as soon as you arrive. If you decide to move first and then get the license, then you have to get licensed right away after you settle in the new state, usually within 30 days.

    You get to keep your CA license until it expires. Actually, you can continue to maintain your CA license as long as you meet the BVNPT's renewal requirements (you have enough CEUs, etc.) and you're willing to fork over the money for renewal fees.
  5. Visit  ErinRose profile page
    Thank you! That was extremely helpful and cleared up a lot of confusion!

Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and Create Job Alerts, Manage Your Resume, and Apply for Jobs.