Textbooks

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

I am a pre-nursing student and I just wanted to know does anyone have any idea on where I can purchase nursing textbooks for a reasonable price or even rent the textbooks. I am at a huge financial constraints and can't afford to pay 300 dollars for a book at the moment. Thank you and have a great one.

Specializes in NICU.

There are many websites that offer price comparison for purchase and rental of text books. Here is and example Rent Textbooks Cheap - Price Compare Textbook Rental Sites

Google the ISBN for the books you are looking for, the go to the shopping tab.

Specializes in Adult Primary Care.
Specializes in Med-Tele; ED; ICU.

half.com

ebay.com

amazon.com

chegg.com

valorebooks.com

craigslist.org

Some of the shadier neighborhoods on the web.

If I were an excellent student facing severe financial constraints, I would only buy older editions or international editions and would selectively forego the support materials and 'recommended' texts.

99.9 % unless book is custom made you do not need lates edition, it would be nice to have latest edition, but it is huge waste of money, difference between editions is 1 or 2 pages. You would really enjoy paying $3.94 instead of $300

Please remember that 90 % of your studying would be from power point. I know 2 girls who went though nursing school without buying a single book , they was barrowing books from library when required to have book in class

From personal experience, I have used Chegg to rent books and have found it to be the best value for the buck.

Somebody else mentioned using older editions and that really does cut down on costs -- especially on Chegg. I'll warn you though, some older editions do have major changes so you might want to check w/ the instructor if the older edition is okay. I had one class where an entire article was missing from the older edition and that was the one the questions were based on. In another class, the chapters were all switched around and a lot of new material added in. I'd say 97% of the time the older editions work fine, but just be forewarned you might get thrown a curveball once in a while.

The prices of books stink!

Good luck!

See if you can get in touch with any students who are getting ready to graduate or recently graduated. I know in my program many students or new grads were willing to sell their books super cheap or even give them away.

Amazon has a renting option. Ebay is the best when it comes to cheap textbooks. However, cheap does not always mean quality. I was fooled into buying cheap textbooks to only find out they were 5 years old and I was supposed to buy the recent edditions.

An option that most don't even consider nowadays is going to a public library and checking out the text. You can place an interlibrary loan request if the local branch does not have the book. As long as there are no other pending requests for a book, one can successfully renew a book loan for as long as it is needed.

Amazon has a renting option. Ebay is the best when it comes to cheap textbooks. However, cheap does not always mean quality. I was fooled into buying cheap textbooks to only find out they were 5 years old and I was supposed to buy the recent edditions.

My granddaughter got a cheap rental book from Chegg one time and the book was falling apart when she received it. Sometimes you get a pristine book for rent and sometimes you get a book that has been through the mill many times and shows it.

Specializes in Psychiatry.

Abebooks is a good one too and they have older editions of everything. Unless your school wants you to use a code from a brand new textbook, you can use an older edition. Sometimes, the only difference between an older edition and a newer one is the cover page!

+ Add a Comment